Radiohead (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well guys as devils advocate it's like me going into a KISS thread and saying the same thing. If I think they are just o.k. it'd be very surprising if you were able to pick up any KISS song that would enlighten me. Same with me and The Smashing Pumpkins. I have a handful of Radiohead songs I think are really cool but they aren't a band I'll ever be excited about. They are today's Beatles which while it's great they have a following the annoyance factor is the infallible pedestal both bands get put up on by certain members of their fanbase. Since when is music about genius anyway. Does a textbook evoke emotion? Usually not so the songs I do like from Radiohead come from a good melody like Creep and emotion like Idioteque and True Love Waits! :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Well guys as devils advocate it's like me going into a KISS thread and saying the same thing. If I think they are just o.k. it'd be very surprising if you were able to pick up any KISS song that would enlighten me.
Huge difference and this is where I think a LOT of RH fans area really confused as to the term "genius". I love KISS. Always have, always will. If some else likes them, great, if not, your loss.

HOWEVER, I will never call them or their music "genius". There's a major difference between really liking/loving something and putting it worlds apart from everything else. To me, the term genius should be something that is so obviously different, better, heads-and-tails more incredible than the next closest thing. There are very few artists I would even be tempted to consider genius as far as their music goes. Again, being "my favorite" and "genius" are not the same thing.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Huge difference and this is where I think a LOT of RH fans area really confused as to the term "genius". I love KISS. Always have, always will. If some else likes them, great, if not, your loss.

HOWEVER, I will never call them or their music "genius". There's a major difference between really liking/loving something and putting it worlds apart from everything else. To me, the term genius should be something that is so obviously different, better, heads-and-tails more incredible than the next closest thing. There are very few artists I would even be tempted to consider genius as far as their music goes. Again, being "my favorite" and "genius" are not the same thing.

Well the label genius can just be a term of enthusiasm depending on the person and the context of how they are using it. If I hear something that hits me just perfectly and melds all the elements I love personally I'm definitely guilty of dropping the genius tag. :heheh: Particularly if it's in a vein of music I like and it seems like they've mastered what I like perfect in every way. Maybe fans drop words too loosely but that's the fun of it. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I haven't been listening to these guys much lately, but there is one thing I really wonder about this band. Why are most if not all the fans complimenting this band in the form of either "they are easily the best band to ever come into the music business", or "everything they do, is gold".

Ok, Radiohead are ok in my opinion. Quite honestly, I am borderline not able to stand them. The vocalist gets far more recognition than he deserves. Allow me to clarify that this is my opinion, if you like Radiohead, more power to you. I just have a hard time believing that these guys are the best thing to ever come into the music business.

It could just be me as well. Maybe there is something about this band that isn't clicking for me, or maybe they really are the most incredible band to come into the music business, if that's the case, I am not seeing it.

I've wondered this myself many many times. Usually I just chalk it up to Radiohead fans being possible the most insane and obsessed group of fans on the planet so that I don't rack my brain too much.

If I had to take a guess though I'd bet that it's because a great deal of their music deals with isolation and angsty things like that going all the way back to "Creep" and reaching it's peak on "Ok Computer". I think their fans feel like in their deep pits of disparity and sorrow Radiohead speaks to them in a really beautiful way so that they feel like they aren't the only ones to feel that way.

So, I'll put the question to the fans once again, please... show me something... anything ... anything at all that would pique my interest and say "you know, maybe I was wrong".

Well I don't know if this'll make you second guess yourself or make you think it's genius or anything Lynch but "Just" is a pretty cool, more rock center song that I think you might (I stress that word a great deal) like...

It makes a interesting mix of acoustic and screaming electric guitars as well as dynamic shifts in the verses and chorus.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I'm afraid they sound like the have lost the plot with that last album, just painfully bad, I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it, I played it through about 3 times, and then deleted the download. I think in general if you play a record 3 times and you still hate it after the 3rd play, then you are never going to like it. Radiohead are though still one of the best bands to emerge for 20 years or so, In Rainbows and Hail to the Thief and Kid A are just blindingly great records, so I won't pronounce them as in terminal decline until/unless they produce another nonsensical turkey of a record with their next album!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I've wondered this myself many many times. Usually I just chalk it up to Radiohead fans being possible the most insane and obsessed group of fans on the planet so that I don't rack my brain too much.

If I had to take a guess though I'd bet that it's because a great deal of their music deals with isolation and angsty things like that going all the way back to "Creep" and reaching it's peak on "Ok Computer". I think their fans feel like in their deep pits of disparity and sorrow Radiohead speaks to them in a really beautiful way so that they feel like they aren't the only ones to feel that way.

You brought up a good point that I hadn't thought before. It could be the way with Radiohead fans as it is with a lot of artists. Those fans who have stuck with Radiohead since the start, or the "earlier albums" will probably put them up higher on their list than any other band as opposed to any fans who have tried to understand those fans, instead of understanding why the music is so good.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I don't think Radiohead has it left in them to put on a ballistic live performance like this one anymore. They're all practically beating the shit out their instruments and the lead guitarist actually pulls the string straight off the neck during the guitar solo.

It's a crying shame...

Radiohead

Reaction score
now this is where I belong!

Absolute favourite band ever! Love everything from their demos in the late 80's all the way up to the King of Limbs; I've got hundreds of bootlegs and lots of great unreleased songs

undisputed best album though, gotta be OK Computer
trust me, i know, i am radiohead

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online