Queen (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Official Queen Thread

I am not sure I understand why Universal would spend "Millions" to sign Queen...:think:

Considering all the controversy and claims of going out of business due to the digital age, why would Universal think this is a good business move?

I don't intend on buying the next Queen album, no offense by my good friend Cosmic, but in my mind that band ended when Freddie Mercury passed away.

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland

I totally agree LG. Queen died with Freddie. Most band members are replaceable but Freddie Mercury had such a unique voice that nobody even came close to that, except for George Michael.

Queen's last cd was Innuendo, simple as that.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Queen's last cd was Innuendo, simple as that.

Nay. Queen's last album was "Made in Heaven". Not only is it the highest selling studio album by Queen but if I recall correctly it's Magic's favorite Queen album. Also, I wouldn't write off Queen's final song "No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)", the only Queen song to not feature Freddie by the way.

And no offense taken LG. As big of a Queen fan as I am I do not care for the Queen + Paul Rodger moniker. The cosmic in my name has nothing to do with "The Cosmos Rocks". :D

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

Best Queen tune? Easy and it hasn't been mentioned yet (which shocks me): It's Late from News of The World

In The Lap of the Gods (Revisited) is damn near close as well.

This latest blasphemy of the Queen name having someone else sing Freddie's tunes, it's horse-hockey.

Queen were a Band I mentioned in the same breath as others when "Class" was mentioned. That was before they got greedy and remixed Deacon's Another One Bites the Dust without his permission for "A Knight's Tale". That played a big part of Deacon not attending the Induction Ceremony. I now try my best to remember them how I used to, a great Band.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Ok so I've decided to go into depth in each member of Queen's musical style and significance in the band as some members (namely the first one that I'm going to start with) often don't get credited as being important to Queen.

John Deacon

Deacon1.jpg

Unlike the other three members of Queen, John Deacon was most influenced by soul and funk music as opposed to rock music, particularly American rock and roll. It was something of a rarity for the bass guitar be used as anything outside of a background instrument that just added thickness to the music. John's playing however broke that mold by using his bass as a rhythm guitar on many occasions and it even being featured as a lead instrument, particularly from "The Game" onward.
During their time in the 70's John's bass playing was among the most intricate and tricky in music. Utilizing walking bass runs, sharp note changes, and his trademark runs (just to name a few things) his playing was much more difficult than heard in his most famous riffs such as "Another Bites The Dust" and "Under Pressure".
Generally John would play with the right index and middle fingers but would use a pick and sometimes his thumb on certain songs. He even played a double bass/upright bass on the song "'39", where he taught himself to play the instrument in an afternoon.

Some of his most prominent and finest parts are on the tracks:

"I Want To Break Free"
"Dragon Attack"
"A Kind of Magic"
"Breakthru"
"Under Pressure"
"Another Bites The Dust"
"The Millionaire Waltz"
"Liar"
"'39"
"You're My Best Friend"
"I'm Going Slightly Mad"

Aside from his bass playing alone John Deacon also played guitar and to a smaller extend keyboard as well as wrote several of Queen's biggest hits. Also he was the only member of Queen to never sing lead on a song and wasn't ever credited on vocals for any Queen song. The reason for this was the John felt that Brian, Roger, and Freddie were all such strong singers that he simply couldn't keep up.

His compositions were often the more poppy songs in Queen's catalog, which stemmed from John not having the rock roots of the other members. Some of the notable songs he wrote for Queen are:

"Another One Bits The Dust" (Queen's highest selling single in the US)
"You're My Best Friend"
"I Want To Break Free"
"Spread Your Wings"
"Back Chat"
"In Only Seven Days"
"You And I"
"Need You Loving Tonight"
He also wrote the riff to "Under Pressure", which is of course the backbone of that song.

John Deacon is the least famous member of Queen for several reasons, that he never sang lead and that he never embarked on a solo career being two of them. Queen was a unit and as overlooked as John often was/is as a contributing member of the band he was a vital part to Queen and very musically able in his own right.​

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Sorry I'm late in this CH. ..

I love QUEEN

theres nothing I can say about them that hasn't been said but I love them for personal reasons too

talking about how brilliant they are with a friend on another music website..He hooked me into QUEEN 2 with all the amazing amazing , artistic glamour of Freddies voice ., beautiful images,weaved into Brian Mays' guitar...

Gawd. throw in John Deacon..and Roger Taylor...I say complete masterpiece !

White Queen is my favorite off that album but ..my friends is The Seven Seas Of Rhye..hearing that song as a young boy in London..he was swept away !

anyway

I chose this song to post ,,because it emotional beauty..everyone in Queen is awesome...but there will NEVER be another Freddie

heres FREDDDDIE

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic2010

Reaction score

Haven't been listening to much Queen in recent years but they are a very good band from the 70s (haven't heard much at all from the 80s). I think my favorite is Queen II, followed by Sheer Heart Attack, and A Night At The Opera (Prophet Song is unbelievable).

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Nice write up on John Deacon Cosmic..Some interesting facts..
I have to say one of my favorite riff's John did was doing "Get Down Make Love"

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Thanks Thumper. I'll toss out tons of fun facts for Freddie, Brian, and Roger too when I write up theirs sooner or later. :)

Haven't been listening to much Queen in recent years but they are a very good band from the 70s (haven't heard much at all from the 80s). I think my favorite is Queen II, followed by Sheer Heart Attack, and A Night At The Opera (Prophet Song is unbelievable).

Well I know a number of people who thinks 80's Queen sucks but I have to disagree. If you are ever interested in checking out albums by them from 80's then might I suggest "The Works" or "The Game". Though I do think that the two albums Queen put out in the 90's were better in their the albums they put out in the 80's.

Queen II is my favorite too. It is an album that is meant to be listened to as a whole rather than a lot of their later albums where you could pick out select songs that were a cut above the others on the album.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Roger Taylor

roger3.jpg

While Roger primarily played the drums and handled the high part of Queen's three part harmonies her also plays guitar, keyboard, bass, and several other lesser instruments. He is one of the most high influential drummers of the 70's and 80's because of his very disincentive, large sound. His biggest influences drumming style are Mitch Mitchell and to a great extent John Bonham.

Some songs with prominent/distinctive/whatever drum parts from Roger Taylor:

"The Night Comes Down"
"Great King Rat"
"Ogre Battle"
"These Are The Days Of Our Lives"
"Stone Cold Crazy"
"Tear It Up"
"Seaside Rendezvous"
"Dragon Attack"
"Innuendo"
"Princes Of The Universe"

He was a prominent songwriter for Queen (albeit Brian May and Freddie Mercury were still the main songwriters), solely composing at least one song for each Queen album and co-writing numerous others. Also he would usually handle the vocals on many of his songs, though as the band's career advanced he would more often give Freddie lead vocals though even then he usually would handle the lead part in at least one verse at the bare minimum.

Some songs that Roger wrote are:

"These Are The Days Of Our Lives"
"Breakthru"
"Radio Gaga"
"It's A Kind Of Magic"
"Tenement Funster" (He also sang lead vocals)
"Sheer Heart Attack" (Lead vocals during the chorus)
"I'm In Love With My Car" (Lead Vocals)
"More Of That Jazz" (Lead vocals)
"Thank God It's Christmas" (Co-written with Brian May)
"Heaven for Everyone"

If you listen just about any Queen song and listen for the percussion then you really realize just how crisp Roger's drumming is and how no other drummer could have fit with Queen as perfectly as he did. On top of his drumming he was the one who could hit the high notes that really enriched Queen's massive choir like vocals. And on top of THAT he also was very important in Queen's song writing process. No other drummer could have taken his place in the band. Plain and simple.​

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online