Prince (Official Thread)

ANF

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Prince Thread

Parade is phenomenal, one of his best albums to play start to finish. I think the fact that it was the soundtrack to a terrible (but fun in a campy sense) movie and that "Kiss" was the only single-ready track off the album kinda doomed the album, but it does have its cult following since I have history has realized its one of his tops.

CallMeMustang

Reaction score

I adore Prince. I love androgyny so i think thats what attracted me to him first. I didn't like him at first, and that was before I even heard him. I was so into my rock and i was like "ew prince" but my mom brought home the Purple Rain soundtrack on vinyl for my collection. I put it on out of boredom one day and listened to When Doves Cry and Purple Rain and fell in love. Not to mention he's alittle hottie..and he's got some outrageous dance moves and style. If i could raid his wardrobe...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I love Prince but I think he was a real asshole with how he gave "Kiss" to another group, they reworked it, and then he decided to record their reworked version himself without giving them credit. I love that song but...still...:nw:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I love Prince but I think he was a real asshole with how he gave "Kiss" to another group, they reworked it, and then he decided to record their reworked version himself without giving them credit. I love that song but...still...:nw:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Mazarati got credit on the album as well as are still included in the background vocals on that song.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

The backing vocals are still the same but I'm pretty sure Prince didn't get due credit.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Found this on Wiki:

"Kiss" is a 1986 single by Prince and The Revolution, from the album Parade. "Kiss" started as a short acoustic demo, about a minute in length, with one verse and the chorus. Prince gave the song to the funk band Mazarati for their debut album. Mazarati and producer David Z. drastically reworked the song, giving it its stripped-down minimalist sound. When Mazarati delivered the song to Prince, he was amazed at their work and decided to take back the song for himself. He replaced their lead vocal, added the guitar break in the chorus and edited the song to its present form. Mazarati were credited for their backing vocals, which Prince left intact.

Also this:

The band is notable for some of the songs that they did not release. They were originally given the song "Kiss" by Prince in demo form. They transformed the brief bluesy track into a unique funk number. After hearing their work on the demo, Prince took the song back, added a guitar break and his trademark falsetto vocals and released the song on his Parade (1986), where it became a No. 1 hit single and Grammy Award winner. Mazarati's background vocals are even kept intact and were credited on the album
not sure if that is different than the 'due credit' you are referring to. *shrug*

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

From what I've read (since I don't own a hard copy of "Parade") Prince was credited as the only writer for the song. That's what I was talking about as "due credit".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online