Prince (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Prince Thread

I love the Purple Rain disc!!! One of his BEST!!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Ya.. The've been playing the movie "Purple Rain" this week.
Not many people are into the other group featured (Morris Day and The Time) but I like the group.. They have been around way before the movie came out..

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

The film version of Purple Rain isn't really good, no. Prince is one hell of a musician but an actor he is not. :heheh: I did think Morris Day was really entertaining in it though. :D

Now the album "Purple Rain" is miles ahead of all of Prince's other album to me and would make my top 100. I think it's fantastic and one of the most essential albums of the 1980's. The title track is one of my favorite songs of all time. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah I love Morris day in it too!! :heheh:

The Time is a great band. Prince's acting is pretty bad but I think it's in a good way. I find the movie entertaining. Maybe it's just the good memories. I remember taking an old girlfriend to see it when it first came out.

:confused:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well the movie was....um....iffy since the plot was kind of sketchy and the acting was generally not that outstanding, especially from Prince since he was the lead. Morris was fun though because he was a huge dick but me made me laugh. :heheh:

I actually know a couple who say that Purple Rain is one of their favorite movies.....though they also say that Epic Movie is one of the funniest movies ever soooooooooooooooo their taste is beyond questionable.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:heheh:

I think for me it's just a fun movie. More of a rock and roll movie...a long MTV video if you will, more than anything.

I'll have to get it on again one day soon.

Terra812

Reaction score

I just caught this on Youtube and thought I'd see if there was a Prince thread... Prince is a genius!

I remember "I wanna be your lover" being played on the radio and didn't really think too much of it at the time... I didn't start getting into Prince until it was time to party like it was 1999.

Now The Time is a whole other story... Loved this band! I've got the first three albums. All produced and performed by Prince... as well as written... under the name Jamie Starr. Prince played all the instruments as well as the backing vocals and Morris Day did the lead vocals. Morris Day wasn't Prince's first choice for The Time's front man... I don't recall who it was just that the dude wanted too much cash... so enter Prince's childhood friend Morris :grinthumb

Live, The Time consisted of Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Jellybean Johnson, Jesse Johnson and of course Jerome (Morris' Valet)

A few of my favorite Time tunes

Charlie Murphy on the Chappelle show talking about the time he went to Prince's house and played basketball :lmao:

Terra812

Reaction score

Interesting interview with Prince

ANF

Reaction score

Prince was one of the first people that got me into music as a child, along with Michael Jackson and a few others.

I remember my mom buying me the Purple Rain tape and then regretting it when she heard some of the lyrics and threw it out :( Oh well, I've owned it on cd and vinyl in the years since.

Regarding the Purple Rain movie. I think some people are reading too much into it. Its not a work of art, it doesn't have a great plot, but it works perfectly because of the atmosphere, music and era of it all. If you think PR is a terrible movie, then by all means avoid Graffiti Bridge at all costs. Its a movie that was so inept that even Madonna turned down a role in the film because the script was so bad LOL.

Prince has his low points, but I don't think he's ever done anything bad, he's such a talent than his worst music is still on par with others best.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.