popular bands that you hate

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I did not say you were a liar. One of the first responses I sent you dealt with a time when I was not entirely honest with myself about what I liked and didn't. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but now that I see I've touched a nerve nevermind.

Maybe you despise them. Dunno.

I guess I misunderstood you because you said you had doubts about my honesty. I don't have anything against you. Can we just forget this and move on, please? :uh:

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Like I said with ZZ Top and Jackson Browne, I don't hate him, but Eric Clapton bores the life out of me.

I will never understand how this guy is considered one of the 'greats'. I don't know what people hear when they listen.

He's bland, vanilla, and wholly average. Everything he plays sounds so rehearsed and practiced and memorized to the note. He doesn't flow, he recites.

Anyway, that's what I hear.

Don't you even think he is one of the greatest guitar players ever? I'm just asking. I love him. He isn't a rocker like he was in the past, so I guess his bluesey playing is an acquired taste.
smile.gif

Khor1255

Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood you because you said you had doubts about my honesty. I don't have anything against you. Can we just forget this and move on, please? :uh:
Darlin I was moved passed it already. This medium can make innocent statements sound loaded. Sorry if I came on too strong.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Don't you even think he is one of the greatest guitar players ever? I'm just asking. I love him. He isn't a rocker like he was in the past, so I guess his bluesey playing is an acquired taste.
smile.gif

Well, he's gotta be doing something right, if he's been around this long and has so many fans.

It might be the whole 'Clapton is God' thing that adds to my distain. 'God' would indicate he's a surpreme being (on guitar, of course, not literally).

Another aggravation was the dumbest song that just wouldn't go away...Cocaine. People lost their flippin' minds over that song. Yea, man! Drugs, man! Cool!

No, not cool. A cheap way to get onto the charts.

I just don't hear it, I guess. His work just doesn't make me feel anything. Art, in any form, has one common objective; to evoke emotions.

The only emotion I feel is toward his elevated status.

Clapton's music simply doesn't make me feel anything. The only thing worse than a positive or negative reaction, is indifference.

Someone in this thread wrote Clapton was better when surrounded by a group. I'll agree with that. In Cream, he was more of a gunslinger.

And I have to be honest, Layla has one of the most epic, iconic riffs in the history of rock music.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I'm not sure Clapton was aiming for the charts when he did 'Cocaine'. He was (is) a big JJ Cale fan (as he has demonstrated with his most recent album) and he decided to do a cover of one of Cale's songs. Clapton has done that sort of thing a lot over the years - ie a kind of tribute to musicians he respects.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a fan of punk I am not angry but I do have to ask, so like Sex Pistols Punk or Velvet Underground/Lou Reed Punk or The Stooges/MC5 Punk or New York Dolls Punk? Or just the whole genre in general?

Sex Pistols, The Clash, late 70s " **** PINK FLOYD " punk.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Another aggravation was the dumbest song that just wouldn't go away...Cocaine. People lost their flippin' minds over that song. Yea, man! Drugs, man! Cool!

No, not cool. A cheap way to get onto the charts.
I've been a big fan of Clapton for most of my life. I admit that he has some really soft, cheeseball songs, but Cocaine is still one of my favorites. He took a pretty lame JJ Cale track and made it into something that is somewhat iconic. My love of that song isn't the lyrics (which are pretty stupid), but the music. Love Clapton's re-imagination of Cale's original.

Speaking of Clapton, his Crossroads box set was the first CD boxset I ever bought (and I think one of the very first ones on the market). I love it. All four discs have been on constant rotation in my CD players for the last 25+ years. As a matter of fact, I was just listening to disc 4 about 2 hours ago. ;)

220px-Crossroads_%28Eric_Clapton_album%29.jpg

The only other box sets that got even close to the same sort of rotation are the original Zeppelin box set from 1990 and the KISS box set from 2001, and I haven't listened to that Zeppelin box set in probably close to 15 years. Played the hell out of it for the first few years though.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online