hippie.gif

PS, some good info in this thread by eberg15101 and Craig in Indy :grinthumb
:cheers:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Official Poco Thread

Good Feelin' To Know is one of the first I listened to:grinthumb

I don't like Crazy Eyes that much, I may have to give it another listen, I don't know if I really gave it a fair chance, I didn't think the band would be as versatile, so I was expecting something else, but I'll definitely give it another chance, but I'm surprised your favorite isn't something from Rose Of Cimmaron or one similar to that would more acoustic and folk-y type elements:D

"Rose" is one of my favorites, for sure. I especially like how Rusty is just wailing on the banjo as the song fades out -it's real low down in the mix so you have to listen for it, and it's completely at odds with the slow, string- and electric guitar-heavy extended fade, which makes it genius as far as I'm concerned.

Other favorites include "You Better Think Twice" (especially the previously unreleased acoustic version that's on The Forgotten Trail), "Whatever Happened to Your Smile" "All the Ways" and "Bitter Blue."

But I also like a lot of their out-and-out rockers like "Let's Dance Tonight" and especially "Another Time Around." I think if I had to live with only two Poco albums they'd be Crazy Eyes and Cantamos. Both, I think, represent the band at their creative peaks for Furay and non-Furay lineups, respectively.

Reaction score

that's another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, most of their production is absolutely excellent... and big time props to Messina for being so competent in the studio whether it is writing, playing, or producing, he is seriously almost like the guy that could just hang around a studio and do everything for every band that walked in:heheh:

for banjo I like Company's Comin' off ROC, it splits into a nice pickin' and grinnin' type jam which is Slow Pole.. just a continuation of the song which is really cool.. great banjo and chicken pickin' on guitar, there is a solo near the end of Slow Pole that is awesome... and the slide playing in the middle of it is insane.. everyone always mentions Duane and Rod Price as being greats of slide, but Rusty Young deserves to be up there(or does paul cotton play slide and Young lapsteel, I think I may have screwed that up?) either way it is incredible and no one plays like it

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I don't know whether it was Cotton or Young who did the slide work. Young is certainly versatile enough to have done it. many, many years ago I used to get a stringed instrument magazine whose name I can no longer recall, but it was great. It had regular monthly columns by Young and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, among others. The breadth and depth of those two guys' guitar and guitar-related knowledge was unbelievable.

Reaction score

I don't know whether it was Cotton or Young who did the slide work. Young is certainly versatile enough to have done it. many, many years ago I used to get a stringed instrument magazine whose name I can no longer recall, but it was great. It had regular monthly columns by Young and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, among others. The breadth and depth of those two guys' guitar and guitar-related knowledge was unbelievable.

That must have been an interesting read... I don't think my guitar world collection goes back that far:heheh:
I have every issue except for 2 or 3 since either 2003 or 2004, but not much mention of JB or RY.... more Randy Rhoads and Angus Young and that is about it.. not a bad thing, but they really could use a bit more variety

I know Young played just about all of the lapsteel, and Baxter certainly excelled on that instrument too, I'd love to learn to play that, but I don't know if I could get used to it.. I suck at playing slide, but lapsteel is such a cool instrument

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I just checked on AMG under their review of the Legacy album, and according to them, Meisner was never on a Poco record until this one. They say he quit the band on the eve of their first Pickin' Up the Pieces recording date.

If that's accurate, or if it's where I first read it, I can't say for sure. But it's out there as information anyway, right or wrong.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

That must have been an interesting read... I don't think my guitar world collection goes back that far:heheh:
I have every issue except for 2 or 3 since either 2003 or 2004, but not much mention of JB or RY.... more Randy Rhoads and Angus Young and that is about it.. not a bad thing, but they really could use a bit more variety

I know Young played just about all of the lapsteel, and Baxter certainly excelled on that instrument too, I'd love to learn to play that, but I don't know if I could get used to it.. I suck at playing slide, but lapsteel is such a cool instrument

There was a time when I was younger that I thought the coolest thing in the world would be to play pedal steel. But the first time I sat down at one it looked so damned complicated I gave up the idea. :bonk:

Reaction score

^^
yeah, that is what I'm worried about... I did the exact same thing with a banjo:heheh:

I just checked on AMG under their review of the Legacy album, and according to them, Meisner was never on a Poco record until this one. They say he quit the band on the eve of their first Pickin' Up the Pieces recording date.

If that's accurate, or if it's where I first read it, I can't say for sure. But it's out there as information anyway, right or wrong.

I have nothing to prove it wrong, so I'll believe it:D

Fever

Reaction score

I saw Poco in 1979 as the opening act.The other three bands were Boston,Van Halen and the Outlaws.
They were really good.But I have always prefered Meisner over Schmit.I just don't care for the songs he sings lead on.
Not to get off topic but you need to read Don Felder's book if you haven't.It mentions teaching Petty.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

This is some epic Poco!!! :heheh:

My sister loves them and you did a great tribute to them eberg!!! Gonna have some listening late tonight!! Gonna be fun!!

:cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online