Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

Fender-Defender

Reaction score
You're not a moron for wanting to listen to more Pink Floyd! You're awesome!
I've been absolutely obsessed with the Floyd for over 20 years, so I'm pretty qualified to give you my 2 cents.

American classic rock radio will only play tracks from Dark Side, The Wall, Wish You Were Here and occasionally Animals. So the northwest coast is not an anomaly.

These albums were released during the 1970's after the astronomical success of Dark Side of The Moon. Most people regard this period as their most creative, as it was also their most commercially successful.

But there was life before Dark Side for the Floyd! Seven albums to be exact.

So having said that, I'd recommend listening to Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall thoroughly(if you haven't already) before working your way backwards through their catalog beginning with Meddle, Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother.

After that's digested go back even further to More, Ummagumma, and Saucerful of Secrets.

And then after that introduce yourself to the works of Syd Barrett with Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Enjoy!! and any questions, we're always here to help. :D

Thanks! Sounds like the radio plays those albums sort of like how if anything by Nirvana is played on the radio it's always from nevermind. Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting my hands on those albums soon!

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Also, don't whatever you do miss out on two albums not mentioned above from the period after Roger Waters left the band, but which (some of us) feel are as good as anything from their earlier line-up.....A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell - they are both staggeringly wonderful albums that everyone just discovering Floyd has to own.

And then there's the various live albums!!

Oh and there's also a couple of great David Gilmore solo albums you might want to check out if your money doesn't run out on the Floyd stuff first!!

Dan

Reaction score
Fender-Defender, i'm sure most people would agree with me when i say that Pink floyd Albums need to be played right through. They are not band that works particularly well if you skip through to songs. I don't think their single compilations eg, foot in the door etc work well at all. But they are the best Album band ever, without peer(this is why they are my personal fav).

Khor1255

Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds like the radio plays those albums sort of like how if anything by Nirvana is played on the radio it's always from nevermind. Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting my hands on those albums soon!
I totally agree with Architect here. If you want a deep appreciation for Floyd you will undoubtedly find it listening to the albums that came before Dark Side of the Moon. Some of it might be a little out there for anyone's taste but there is definitely enough 'meat on the bones' for anyone who likes rock to get into these albums. My least favorite from the early era is Atom Heart Mother but I know a few folks who consider that among the best they've ever done.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Fender-Defender, i'm sure most people would agree with me when i say that Pink floyd Albums need to be played right through. They are not band that works particularly well if you skip through to songs. I don't think their single compilations eg, foot in the door etc work well at all. But they are the best Album band ever, without peer(this is why they are my personal fav).

I feel the same way, many of their albums are 'conceptual' and PF were masters of the craft. Can't say they are my all time favorite band that list is never set in stone, but they are in the top 20 bands of all time easily.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Given the opportunity I always try to listen to a Floyd album right through. It just feels wrong to cut off at any other point. "Meddle" a cold beer and your feet up, that's the way. :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sounds like a perfect listening scenario to me.:D

When I bought Meddle way back when for $.97.(one of the best deals ever for a record) it took me about 6 listens before I got into this album, after all I was only 14 years old and patience wasn't exactly a strong suit but now it's one of my favorite PF albums.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can listen to every album of Floyd right through bar 2 or 3.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I have to choose my time well as you know LG but when the coast is clear I have been known to indulge in a Floyd Fest. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online