Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^ not sure I would stab you but might have to throw a beer at you
:)

I like division bell and piper isn't my favorite pf album.
However Interstellar drive and astronomy domine are the true beginning of space rock and for that alone piper is a top album.

Well just make sure it's a Quality Beer you throw at me AK, not one of the lightweight variety.:D

I wouldn't stab you either LG.
I'd just have to sit you down and have a listening session with a few choice live recordings from 1969, 1970 and 1971, so you could hear the error of your ways. :tongue:

I would give them a fair listen Architect, but I don't know whether it would change my mind...but I do acknowledge you a true expert in all things in the Floydian Universe.:bow:

:cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn stands out better than every other album in the PF library in my opinion.

Guess it shows how subjective this is. Its interesting that someone holds that album higher than everything else. (not in a bad way) I like a bit of diverse opinions. I find Animals and WYWH to be top of the chain even over DSOTM (sales don't form my opinion) or The Wall which I don't think is that spectacular personally.

Cowboy

Old Time Rocker
Reaction score
Guess it shows how subjective this is. Its interesting that someone holds that album higher than everything else. (not in a bad way) I like a bit of diverse opinions. I find Animals and WYWH to be top of the chain even over DSOTM (sales don't form my opinion) or The Wall which I don't think is that spectacular personally.

The Wall is mediocre in my opinion. Waters is a fantastic writer but it looks like his arrogance got the better of him because honestly, most of the songs aren't ones I'd particularly listen to on a regular basis. In fact, the only ones I like in general are, In The Flesh?, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, Comfortably Numb and maybe Run Like Hell but that's it. I also prefer Animals and WYWH over that. Animals is still under rated and has brilliant guitar work. Pigs seems to be the, "it" song. The song where they really knew what they were doing. It's got the best bass to a PF song in my opinion. And Gilmour's guitar work is something to die for.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've listened to Animals many times and just don't think it's their "best" record by any means, but different strokes for different folks.

I do think it's telling that when Pink Floyd's label released new vinyl this year they picked DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall. Obviously commercial appeal is part of the strategy, but I think all 3 are worthy and who knows if they are considered successful then maybe, just maybe Meddle and Animals will be released on wax again as well. I know in all the shops here Pink Floyd albums are like Gold, almost impossible to find and sell instantly when they do show up.

Cowboy

Old Time Rocker
Reaction score
Animals seems to be left out in the dark a lot for some reason. I hardly see it on anyone's top 5 list. Hell, Meddle even seems to be more popular. One thing about Meddle is that I don't understand how it got so popular. The only two songs I found good on it were the obvious, "Echoes" and "Fearless". I don't really understand how One of These Days got so popular and got onto Top 10 lists, Seamus was always considered to be their worst song of all time and no one speaks a word about A Pillow of Winds. But like you said, people have different opinions.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Meddle was my 2nd Pink Floyd record, bought it for .97 back in the day...:D

It grew on me, and I like Seamus, the song that took the longest for me to appreciate was "Echoes". I wasn't used to 20+ minute epics, but one day it clicked and I've loved it ever since Cowboy.

Don't get me wrong I like Animals too, 70's Pink Floyd I like all their albums, yes including Momentary....& the Division Bell.

Cowboy

Old Time Rocker
Reaction score
I remember picking up Meddle. Can't remember if I was disappointed or not... My love for music has changed since I was in my 20s... :p

I got use to Echoes because of Atom Heart Mother, I do remember listening to that for the first time and I absolutely loved that album and the suite... listening to Echoes I wasn't really expecting another long track with huge instrumental passages.

Oh... Don't get me started on Momentary and Division Bell... :rolleyes:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Members online