Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Both are good, but neither had the impact or longevity of DSOTM...that is a One Of achievement.

Also, DSTOM was recorded in 1973 and Still is a landmark when it comes to the actual physical process of recording a rock album. It is better produced than albums that are being made now...another reason it's stood the test of time.

If you ever rate Piper ahead of DSOTM I will have to come down and educate you Rattlehead...:nw:

:oyea:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both are good, but neither had the impact or longevity of DSOTM...that is a One Of achievement.

Also, DSTOM was recorded in 1973 and Still is a landmark when it comes to the actual physical process of recording a rock album. It is better produced than albums that are being made now...another reason it's stood the test of time.

If you ever rate Piper ahead of DSOTM I will have to come down and educate you Rattlehead...:nw:

:oyea:
Putting Piper ahead of it would be not so bad as opposed to putting Umma Gumma ahead of it. :heheh:

I actually really like DSOTM for the record, just not as much as most people do. I dunno why, I am weird.
Its more of my ridiculous liking of WYWH and Animals than anything. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are not weird at all Riff...and the fact you like Pink Floyd is all that matters anyway.:tup:

I am similar when it comes to other bands, for example the Scorpions, my pick of their litter is "Taken By Force"...which was released before they became household names around the world. There is something about that album that just works for me, can't really put my finger on what it is exactly, but there it is.:cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taken by Force is a good album. The only one I have actually heard from them funny enough.

As for Floyd it was something of a great experience to get into from start to finish of every album. It would eventually lead to the collecting of Rush albums too. :cheers2

Khor1255

Reaction score
My favorites are Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured by Clouds and....Ummagumma! But maybe that is because I have heard the others so many times I sort of take them for granted. I do like the early era of Floyd more than the later Floyd but who's to know which would be my favorite early album if I had heard DSOTM or Meddle much less thann the others. They are both awesome albums and I can totally understand why anyone would like them better than my choices.
However, songs like
Let there be More Light
Remember a Day
Astronomie Domine (live Ummagumma)
The Narrow Way
Grantchester Meadows
Childhood's End
Free Four
etc etc will always have a special place in my heart. They are the songs I think of most when I want to hear Floyd but I totally get the popular older ones as well. In my opinion The Wall could have been a great single album and I am glad it has extra material but it is the weakest pre Final Cut album by far.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
^^^ Obscured By Clouds Is a great album. It definitley does not get its due at all. Dark Side all but obliterated its memory. I mean after all, it was released around the same time, only a year earlier.

I think one of its high points, even though the song is cheesy, is Stay a "love song" written by Waters and Wright, with Wright's last lead vocal performance until the Division Bell. Rick should have sang more. He has a great voice!

My favorite song on that album, though, is Mudmen, a dreamy, instrumental interlude heavy on organ and piano, and an excellent Gilmour guitar solo.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I think one of its high points, even though the song is cheesy, is Stay a "love song" written by Waters and Wright, with Wright's last lead vocal performance until the Division Bell. Rick should have sang more. He has a great voice!
I have a good recording of me and a keyboard player doing that one. By good I mean it was actually done in semi professional equipment instead of our usual condensor mike stuff. I'm going to have to dig that one up.

My favorite song on that album, though, is Mudmen, a dreamy, instrumental interlude heavy on organ and piano, and an excellent Gilmour guitar solo.
That album has a lot of depth and is heavily nostalgic for me.

TB_

Reaction score
Just came back from a nice vacation, but I downloaded a shit-ton of pink floyd songs. I now have around 30 pink floyd songs in my playlist for the best songs. Which is more than 1/4 of all the songs. ^^

I didn't download ALL of their albums, so is there any songs you feel like I'm missing here? :D imgur: the simple image sharer

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
You might also like:

Astronomy Domine
The Nile Song
Embryo
Fat Old Sun
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Cymbeline
Grantchester Meadows
Keep Talking

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Like many Pink Floyd fans I think breaking up Floyd albums into a song by song basis really take away a lot of their impact. You don't get to enjoy the experience of the album when the songs are played outside of the whole. Just what I think, TB.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online