Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Roger Waters The Wall is going to be at Yankee Stadium in July. My sister really wants to go, but tickets are so expensive. Even the nosebleeds are $90.

You should go. I saw The Wall tour in I think May last year in Manchester, and we paid I think £85.00 each as it was a special occasion (our friends 25th Wedding Anniversary)...it was a very good show, though not especially great seats we had. But I do wonder how much he's making on this tour. I see he's playing 9 straight nights at a 75,000 seat stadium in Argentina starting tomorrow, so knock off say 15,000 seats for the stage set, but that's still 540,000 people just in one week in one city, and he still has to go around the USA and Canada for the second time yet. If they're all paying £85, well, it's mind boggling numbers.

Though it still wouldn't put him near the top of the top-grossing tours ever list, which is held by U2 with their 360' Degrees Tour, which grossed $736 million, playing to over 7.2 million people. The Wall Live tour is currently ranked 21st all time. The Stones have 4 of the top 10 grossing tours ever, Springsteen btw is in the Top 20 twice with the Magic and Rising tours.

I must be bored tonight :uh:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I have a girlfriend who saw him when he was in Texas and said it was one of the best shows she'd seen. Don't know if this has been posted, but here's a vid from Dave's random stop on Roger's tour last year in May. Though it really wasn't too much out of his way since it was in London, he only did it once. I wonder if he'll do it again this year and it keeps the fans on their toes a bit wondering which date he'll appear. What a treat it must have been for the audience.

TheSound

Reaction score
That's extraordinary ILJP - I'd read about this, but never see it, great find, great great clip. At least Waters is working, I don't know what Gilmour does these days? The Wall Live is certainly one of the most theatrical things you will ever see, pretty memorable.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am curious TS, when they play the Wall in concert does Roger do any other songs or just the complete album in sequence?

David agreed to do a one of with Roger when they reconciled a while back,,,but as far as I know he's into his own thing and has no intention of performing Pink Floyd's music...for now anyway.

And he did release a very good solo album "On an Island" in 2006...I'll have to dig it out and play it again.

MP...you know I'm not a fan of the movie, but I am considering getting the band's live CD and am going to order the audiophile Vinyl edition as well. I may even eventually get the concert in Berlin celebrating the wall coming down, I always thought that show was great fun and a piece of history as well.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^I am curious TS, when they play the Wall in concert does Roger do any other songs or just the complete album in sequence?

David agreed to do a one of with Roger when they reconciled a while back,,,but as far as I know he's into his own thing and has no intention of performing Pink Floyd's music...for now anyway.

And he did release a very good solo album "On an Island" in 2006...I'll have to dig it out and play it again.

Yes, I also have that album, and as you say it's excellent, the best of his 3 solo albums in my view.

'The Wall Live' show is just The Wall from beginning to end, and nothing else, or at least it was last year when I saw it. We were talking about live sound reproduction in another thread a few days ago, and it's so good here that it's virtually a carbon copy of the album, I think there's at least 12 guys in his band, including Snowy White, who is a pretty amazing guitarist as we know, and he replicates all those amazing Gilmour moments on The Wall album pretty much perfectly as I recall. It's an amazing show, I know I have maybe been a bit mean to RW in the past on here as he does nothing except tour The Wall and old Floyd stuff, and apart I think for an opera he once composed, he hasn't written or recorded any new material now for I'd guess 20 years, which seems criminal to me when you consider what a great writer/singer he is, but I hope they filmed some of these shows and we get a nice DVD similar to the Wall Live in Berlin concert of many years ago, it's a very different production to that one, but it really is quite something to hear and behold if you get a chance to see it on the next leg of the tour in the states/Canada.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Thanks, I kind of figured that but wondered if he did an encore and played one of the classic old Floyd tunes. Not sure if he's coming here or not, he did a solo tour 5 years ago? just as himself and played his solo stuff and best known PF songs.

I've wondered why Roger has stopped writing new material...perhaps he's out of creative juices or is just comfortable touring his most famous work, I tend to lean to the latter because he's done it so many times now he must just love it.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Well, The Wall really is a statement all by itself. And old Rog is all about making dramatic statements these days. It would be a bit anticlimactic if Rog all the sudden pulled Money or Southampton Dock out of his back pocket after the Wall had just finished crumbling down upon an awestruck audience!

For anyone who has not seen his recent tour, I implore you: run to the ticket office now!!!

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Been tempted to go to Yankee Stadium show since its so close to me. Just looked now I can pick up a mid range ticket $90 (8 prices and only the lowest one is sold out) its under cover just to one side of stage.

I didn't go last time because I'm a snob I saw the original one in Long Island in 80. I've seen Waters before a few times and Pink Floyd at the old Yankee Stadium in 94.

TheSound

Reaction score
I was actually just listening to that the other night. It's so peaceful and beautiful. :grinthumb

Just played 'On an Island' this morning, prompted by this discussion, which sometimes happens with CRF. Hadn't heard it in a while, and I'd forgotten how laid back it is, languid even, except for two tracks which seem oddly out of place, those being 'Take a Breath', which is a sort of stomper in the style of Zep's 'Kashmir', and then This Heaven, which is a straight forward blues, but the rest of the album is in keeping with the album title, and you can imagine the waves breaking on the shore as you lie back and soak it up, he must have been in a very placid mood when he wrote and recorded this record. I also love the intro instrumental 'Castellorizon' which is a very clever track, maybe I'm imagining it but I swear on this track I can hear very small and short nods in the direction of earlier Floyd classic tracks that he has very subtley worked into it...Echoes, Dogs of War, Shine On You Crazy, High Hopes, one or two others, you have to listen carefully, or am I imagining it??

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online