Pentagram (Official Thread)

gorgon

Reaction score
The documentary, Last Days Here is currently on netfl!x inst@nt stre@ming if anyone is interested.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
The documentary, Last Days Here is currently on netfl!x inst@nt stre@ming if anyone is interested.

That's what got me into the band in the first place. Best 'Rockumentary' I've ever seen.

gorgon

Reaction score
That's what got me into the band in the first place. Best 'Rockumentary' I've ever seen.

I knew very little about them before the doc., and thought it was going to showcase the death of Bobby Liebling. I was shocked at the way it ended up, and glued to the boob tube the whole time I watched it. Good stuff indeed.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Been a fan of PENTAGRAM since the re-issue of Daze and was pretty shocked to see Bobby in such horrible condition. My GF was near too tears while we watching the doc. Powerful stuff.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
Pentagram (1985, later reissued under the name Relentless)
Day of Reckoning (1987)
Ive been playing these recently....I need to check out their other works asap

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Day of Reckoning (1987)
Ive been playing these recently....I need to check out their other works asap

Don't forget 'First Daze Here.' It is a compilation album, that will change your life. :grinthumb

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
^Damn i saw that album on a blog a while back and didnt get it^
Ill keep an eye out.
Be forwarned is on my list next as i like to go through a band in order.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
^Damn i saw that album on a blog a while back and didnt get it^
Ill keep an eye out.
Be forwarned is on my list next as i like to go through a band in order.

Well if you want to go through in order First Daze should actually be first, as it's all their early songs.

Here's a preview, if you want:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Oh no, no official thread of this incredible band? :wtf:

pentalogo.jpg

Pentagram on Wikipedia

The most well-known and recognized Pentagram, from Arlington, Virginia, United States of America, is one of the earliest doom bands around. Having been around in one form or another since 1971, it’s safe to say that Pentagram had a big impact on Sabbath inspired doom metal that was to follow over the next decade. The band also strongly intertwines with the band Bedemon and is sometimes seen as one and the same. Pentagram are considered to be one of the all time classics by many older fans for understandable reasons. Their music can perhaps best be described as “proto-Doom” with a strong resemblance to the first Black Sabbath releases.

Pentagram’s first 7 inch was released under the name Macabre, entitled "Be Forewarned" and included "Be Forewarned" and "Lazy Lady." The record was produced by Phillip Knudsen and released on Intermedia (TBSM 003). This recording ended up being one of the band's only proper releases. Although a promotional 7 inch of the song "Hurricane" (Boffo Socko R13859) was released. A large number of demo and rehearsal recordings, as well as 22 unreleased studio recordings exist from this time period. Despite the handful of recorded material, Pentagram’s repertoire reportedly consisted of nearly 80 original songs, written or co-written by Bobby Liebling, as well as covers such as "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds’ version of "Little Games."

Demos that they recorded include:

1. A 3-track demo recorded at Columbia Studios on 20 September 1975 (featuring "Run My Course", "When the Screams Come" and "Wheel of Fortune")
2. A 12-track demo recorded at the American Mailing Warehouse, Alexandria, VA, in December 1972 and on 2 February 1973 (featuring "Virgin Death", "Yes I Do", "Ask No More", "Man", "Be Forewarned", "Catwalk", "Die in Your Sleep", "Forever My Queen", "Review Your Choices", "Walk in the Blue Light" and "Downhill Slope").
3. A 5-track demo recorded at Underground Sound, Largo, MD, on 4th, 12th and 23 September 1976 (featuring "Smokescreen", "Teaser", "Much Too Young to Know", "Little Games" and "Starlady").

In 1985 the band released the first full-length studio album. Initially self-titled, the album is often referred to as Relentless due to it being given the name when it was reissued by Peaceville Records. The album contains a mix of new songs and 70s era songs, as will all the Pentagram albums to follow. After recording their second album, Day of Reckoning, the band folded yet again, and in 1989 Greg Mayne and Randy Palmer rejoined Liebling with the addition of Ted Feldman on guitar and Jon Cook on drums. The band was working towards recording the third LP, but shortly after their first performance in Maryland, the band split up. The previous lineup then reformed in 1993 and Peaceville Records reissued the first two albums. During this same time, Peace Records released the semi-legitimate 1972–1979. This was the first time many of the 70s songs were released. In 1994 they released their third full-length album, Be Forewarned. The band split up again and emerged as a duo, with Liebling retaining vocal duties and Joe Hasselvander taking care of all instrumentation. In 1998, Downtime Records released a number of early recordings on a compilation album entitled Human Hurricane. Liebling and Hasselvander recorded both 1999's Review Your Choices and 2001's Sub-Basement as a duo. A bootleg follow up to 1972–1979, 1972–1979 (Vol. 2), was released in 1999 by Peace Records. Shortly after Sub-Basement Hasselvander split with Liebling, who soon recruited guitarist Kelly Carmichael, bassist Adam Heinzmann, and drummer Mike Smail, all members of Frederick, Maryland based doom act Internal Void. The new lineup recorded Show 'em How in 2004. This album in particular has seven re-recorded 70s era Pentagram songs and three originals.

Albums

Day of Reckoning (1987)
Be Forewarned (1994)
Review Your Choices (1999)
Sub-Basement (2001)
Show 'em How (2004)
Last Rites (2011)

Forever My Queen

Sign of the Wolf

Show 'em How

Burning Savior

Pentagram+l_e1996b50414c4735a60eacbf5713.jpg

amazing band :omg: