Ozzy Osbourne - Scream (2010)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Ozzy Osbourne "Scream"

What you're referring to is widely known as 'The Loudness War' - it's easily google-able. When Metallica released Death Magnetic it was widely recognized as the prime example of what not to do production wise....

It goes back years before Death Magnetic Flip, the "Remasters" of old classic albums rushed to CD years ago has split the audiophile community. When done properly they are a definite improvement, Panorama by the Cars is far better remastered than the original CD version. Some others have totally undone the balance of the original recording and made them sound just weird if you know how the vinyl or first digital copy sounded.

Death Magnetic was definitely not popular with many people, it was another CD that one of the "Legends" I know on another board remastered himself using his professional software, he was that disgusted with the original offering.

I have a simple approach,,,listen to Fleetwood Mac's white album, and just use that as your template, considering it was recorded in 1975 and is still among the best recordings in a technical sense all these years later. And you can record a band like Metallica, preserve the Essence of their sound and give us a quality album without any trouble. I have a long standing grievance with sloppy engineers/producers over the years I've been collecting music.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

I'm well aware of that, LG - amongst audiophiles this is a very old discussion. My point was that with Death Magnetic even the most cloth-eared realized that there was a problem.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Okay I understand and agree it was a common theme for many "Discerning" music fans. I have to say that most newer bands CD's over the last ten years are getting better all the time, on average, so they know how to get the most out of the new technology, a shame bands like Metallica don't make the effort to give us the best quality possible on their last album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I played "Scream" for the first time a couple of days ago,,,and I have to agree with my "Audiophile" friends the gain on this one is set way too high.:nw:

It is obviously intended for i-pod consumption rather than playing on your stereo system, at least that is my theory for why these producers continually mess around with the levels on some of the newest albums.

I think they should have a "Symposium" for all of these producers/engineers and get all of the standards set once and for all, if nothing else give us a choice between the lossy i-pod version and a proper WAV balanced version for those of us that like quality sound on our nice set-ups.

The album itself I thought was good, surprised actually I have a little trouble forgetting the few images/sound bites from the horrible reality show and am glad Ozzy can still make a good album.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

^^^ It makes sense what your saying about it is probably recorded to be played through a Ipod.. I still use an equalizer on both my mixer and my amp.. I don't have to change the settings when I play the cd like I do with that Helix cd I mentioned..
LG.. you have a finely tuned ear for sound. Your set up must be amazing to sit and listen too!!:cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I have a Helix greatest hits CD Thumper, but I can't remember what it sounded like it's been a couple of years since I played it...I'll dig it out and give it a sound check.

I have been a stickler for quality recording/production value for decades my friend, I will never understand some of the "tinny/skinny/fuzzy" sounding albums some producers put out. After all everyone can adjust a good quality recording to suit themselves, reduce the bass and treble etc., but we cannot make up for a poor mastering/recording job and that is what drives me crazy. And there are numerous examples of great works from every genre, I am sure Thumper you have some albums that just jump out at you when you play them, they sound great and make you wonder why the hell the rest of them couldn't get it right.

I do like Scream though as I said Ozzy surprised me and I wasn't sure after the lukewarm response many people had given this one.:grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This album is one of the best Ive heard of Ozzys regardless of how others perceive it.
Some dont like the sound but I quite love it.
Something different.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Been listening to music in various formats for decades Riff and I can categorically state that while I like Scream fine musically, Ozzy released a good album, his first two solo albums are better produced/engineered from a sonic point of view. I noticed the difference the first time I played Scream, I left all the settings the same and played "Blizzard of Oz" and it was night and day to me.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I agree, I think No More Tears and The Ultimate Sin were also produced a lot better.

wolfman321

Reaction score

It's not Black Sabbath, you have to let go of that now.
It's Ozzy, and he does it well. It is nearly his best but i reckon he has some more to give. Why not wait out and see ! I think his next album will be better.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.