Ozzy Osbourne - Scream (2010)

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Ozzy Osbourne "Scream"

Finally listened to it today - I like it a lot, a bit of a return to form, imo.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I need some feedback about the "Technical" qualities of Ozzy's new album. One board I visit has complained it sounds terrible, like many remastered CD's when they boost the gain too much.(The theory mentioned most often is the "Customized" sound done for the MP3/i-pod market rather than the CD collectors, I don't really bother with MP3's much anymore, CD's, vinyl, tapes and DVD's are my favorite media.)

Someone even did a remaster of their own to compare to the original he was so pissed off about it. Any info would be appreciated from our hardcore Ozzy fans.:think:

Reaction score

I haven't listened to the whole album, just the songs in this thread and a few others on youtube, and it doesn't sound raw, just overdone and well, yeah.. completely overdone:heheh: Aside from Zakk, that was my main problem with Black Rain, I don't expect every artist to stay the same, in fact I love it when they change up their sound, but I lose respect when they lose their roots.. I think the raw power was the root of Ozzy's sound.. from Sabbath to the first few solo albums, they were wild and edgy.. I don't get the same feeling from this.. maybe it's the production, maybe Ozzy, maybe the musicians, but it just isn't right:(

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I need some feedback about the "Technical" qualities of Ozzy's new album. One board I visit has complained it sounds terrible, like many remastered CD's when they boost the gain too much.(The theory mentioned most often is the "Customized" sound done for the MP3/i-pod market rather than the CD collectors, I don't really bother with MP3's much anymore, CD's, vinyl, tapes and DVD's are my favorite media.)

Someone even did a remaster of their own to compare to the original he was so pissed off about it. Any info would be appreciated from our hardcore Ozzy fans.:think:

LG.. I can only add that I picked my copy up at Walmart for 10 bucks and I've heard remastered CD's before that were over the top. But this Cd to me was engineered ok to me.. No distortion or recorded too hot..
As much as I know how well you would be the better technical person to answer that question.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^^^ I didn't think it sounded too bad either. A little louder than most of his CD's but not like alot of them that are out there. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

LG.. I can only add that I picked my copy up at Walmart for 10 bucks and I've heard remastered CD's before that were over the top. But this Cd to me was engineered ok to me.. No distortion or recorded too hot..
As much as I know how well you would be the better technical person to answer that question.

I appreciate your opinion Thumper, and respect your honesty about this technical stuff. I remember you commenting about a Helix CD you picked up a while back and were pissed off at the botched production values, like many remastered versions sometimes they just increase the volume and boost a few bits here and there and you are left with a terrible end result.

Thanks EB and MP for your input...I am going to take the remastered version this "Ruskie" made just for comparison, I'll let you know later how it stacks up to the real album.:grinthumb

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Finally I managed to listen this album. Not as bad as I expected. The best Ozzy effort since Ozzmosis in my opinion. The latest albums Down to Earth (2001) and Black Rain (2007) were just fillers in Ozzy’s discography. I guess Gus G brought some fresh air to the songs dynamic. I only have the mp3 version but now, if I decided that I like it, I will start to look for the cd version :grinthumb.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

What you're referring to is widely known as 'The Loudness War' - it's easily google-able. When Metallica released Death Magnetic it was widely recognized as the prime example of what not to do production wise....

Here's a wiki-article to get you started - there are better articles out there though :D

Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Personal I think Down to Earth and Black Rain are far better effects then
Ozzmosis. Ozzmosis has a few good tracks and is over all decent IMO but it is by far my least favorite Ozzy CD.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

Finally I managed to listen this album. Not as bad as I expected. The best Ozzy effort since Ozzmosis in my opinion. The latest albums Down to Earth (2001) and Black Rain (2007) were just fillers in Ozzy’s discography. I guess Gus G brought some fresh air to the songs dynamic. I only have the mp3 version but now, if I decided that I like it, I will start to look for the cd version :grinthumb.

I quite like Down to Earth - not so much Black Rain...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online