Opeth (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great song Mike off what many consider their peak album. I can't argue that but for me nothing surpasses Still Life. Still Life is an album I would consider a perfect score actually because there is nothing you can fault about it at all like Blackwater Park.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AGREED ! 62 minutes of pure bliss is what Still Life is. As a individual song, i like Blackwater Park and Bleak the most but as a whole album Still Life is best.

Agreed. I honestly love every Opeth record but Still Life stands out and if I would pick a second favourite I would go towards Morningrise or Orchid.

Getting more keen to hear new material which I would love to have the death metal growls back.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
That's my favorite Opeth album, I truly wish Akerfeldt would sing normally, he's got a great voice for straight up hard rock or heavy metal.

I agree LG, I struggle with the growling but I am ok-ish with this band, when as you say he sings he has got a blinding voice. I just picked up Ghost Reveries by the way and again am very impressed with the all round sound.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
His vocals in either style are great for what flowed with the music at the time. The almost black metal vocals are definitely not for everyone but it really was appropriate for the type of music they played on past albums. I honestly would like him to do some of those growls on a new album but wouldn't be bothered if he didn't. He is a great vocalist whichever style he goes for.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying Riff. The growl is used to evoke a mood and as such is a necessary tool. I just kind of avoided bands that use it a lot. That said I am really enjoying the Opeth albums I've bought and have even started to appreciate a little (subtle:D) growl now and then.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never understood why people keep calling Opeth solely a progressive death metal band. No they are not in fact they have drawn influences from black metal as well. They are a progressive band with influences of black metal music and death growls which actually sound more like something you would hear in a black metal band. Never seen a band put prog with black and death metal as great as they did.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Opeth's upcoming album!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/o ... n-20140408

Pale Communion will be the title! These titles are pretty cool too.

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Moon Above, Sun Below
4. Elysian Woes
5. Goblin
6. River
7. Voice of Treason
8. Faith in Others

I'd say this record is either the missing link between Damnation and Ghost Reveries or if Heritage was written directly after Ghost Reveries without Watershed having ever existed. You get the idea.
Descriptions have me intrigued for new album. I never got around to liking Heritage, it was just too soulless and boring. So hopefully this album will be much better :grinthumb

I never understood why people keep calling Opeth solely a progressive death metal band. No they are not in fact they have drawn influences from black metal as well. They are a progressive band with influences of black metal music and death growls which actually sound more like something you would hear in a black metal band. Never seen a band put prog with black and death metal as great as they did.
I think their first two albums had a more black metal feel. Also, Mikie's voice was much more black metal on their first two than on their later albums. But personally I wouldn't label them as black metal.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never said they were full black metal. Progressive black metal though would be an apt way to describe their sound back then.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online