Opeth (Official Thread)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I freaking love Heritage... makes me feel like I'm 13 again and listening to Crimson, Yes, Captain Beyond, Bloodrock and early Floyd for the first time. Fantastic record and they nailed the sound perfectly iyam!

I like that Opeth plays different styles of music. My biggest complaint against modern rock is that they don't have the free wheeling approach to genre that bands did in the late 60s & early 70s where you'd have a pop song, a blues jam, something avant garde, and a hard rock thrasher all next to each other on the album. Heritage might not be as great as Still Life but Opeth was getting a little set in their ways after all, it's good to see them branching out more.

Metal is one of my favorite genres but the idea in the metal community that every band needs to remake their first album for their entire career is unprecedentedly detrimental to, well... everything good about music. At least Opeth went in a classic and respectable direction, unlike Cryptopsy or Morbid Angel who decided to go modern and will never be forgiven for their "insolence."

It astounds me how metal fans can themselves love Dio and Gorguts and Velvet Cacoon, but if Gorguts puts out a Velvet Cacoon type record, or Gorguts makes a Dio-sounding song, suddenly this is a grave injustice. Me, I've always pined for exactly that type of thing to happen. I can have fifteen Darkthrone records and that's all fine and dandy, but Darkthrone'll never top their first few records anyway. But if Entombed recorded a two-bit second wave styled black metal that would be astronomically novel and they'd actually have a chance at putting together something new and meaningful, unlike the 20th Darkthrone record which we know will never be their best.

Based on what Mikael has always said about his influences, it always seemed to me that he wanted a chance to do something closer to a Porcupine Tree vein. I just think that like a lot of veteran rockers who have run out the clock on making waves with their original innovation, he finally felt free to make a record he has been wanting to for a very long time. The same goes for Tom Petty on Mojo.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I concur it is good to see Opeth still enjoy being creative and willing to be diverse. Don't sell themselves out to just please the purists of one style I say. Heritage is a masterpiece for me, absolutely beautifully written album.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Heritage is a masterpiece for me, absolutely beautifully written album.
Completely opposite to me. I mean...

I listened to this album and I felt Pink Floyd was a major influence for them, but they tried to copy their sound. I was expecting something else, something similar to Curved Air or Nektar. Disappointment I'm afraid.

Hammond organ was tasty though.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
I love every other release of theirs, but I just can't get into Heritage. And I've tried many times, but I guess it's just not gelling in with me jeje. Don't mind bands trying new stuff and covering new ground. Have no problem with what Opeth wanted to do, but they just didn't bring anything memorable. Most people don't like it because of the departure of the death growls, which I think is a dumb reason to why not like it. But idk... I just can't get into it. Even the new Storm Corrosion album is much more interesting and unique tbh..

Julie

Reaction score
I fell in love with this song!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Completely opposite to me. I mean...

I listened to this album and I felt Pink Floyd was a major influence for them, but they tried to copy their sound. I was expecting something else, something similar to Curved Air or Nektar. Disappointment I'm afraid.

Hammond organ was tasty though.

I guess it really does depend on what people expect from a new album, I think it had tinges of King Crimson in there as well as was the intention from Opeth. It was to not be a metal album but collectively what influenced them as a band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently Opeth have a couple of new songs written for a new album.
To be honest I would love to see the return of death growls even though I think Heritage was awesome.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to see a combination of both styles in one song honestly.

That would be cool. Its why I love the Watershed album, he does nice clean and death metal vocals in parts of various songs. Variety is key.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its been said somewhere the new album will follow the same path as Heritage. To be honest I am quite happy if that is the case. Whilst it would be cool to hear them do death metal style again there are albums in plenty of that style, Opeth should be allowed to explore and not just stick to the same style just because some fans can't handle change.

I love the song Black Rose Immortal. A great 20 minute epic.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online