Old School THRASH METAL (- Big 4 )

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to also note a similar pet hate to the Newsted mentions of Flotsam, is the constant mentions of Kirk when it comes to Exodus. FFS he didn't even do an album with them, stop constantly mentioning him, he took his song writing to Metallica. Must be insulting constantly being compared to a band who has since gone completely mainstream. lol

On a good note I can't wait for more of your writings for other old school thrashers. :D

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah your probably correct DaKillerWolf i've got my own way of categorizing speed/thrash/death metal bands which probably doesn't follow the 'normal practice' that most thrash metal fan's would recognize as thrash or death metal bands??.

As for the 'mighty' EXODUS there early albums like Bonded by blood & Pleasures of the flesh i would classify as straight ahead thrash metal but in the last 10 years or so they've gone more in a death style.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think they have gone death in the more recent output. They have done stuff I would say is modern thrash.
I don't think at any stage they have gone death metal or death thrash, or whatever bullshit sub genres there are inside sub genres.
Shovel Headed Kill Machine and Exhibit B didn't sound anything like that to me.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah i agree with you Riff i wouldn't classify EXODUS as a 'death metal' band i still regard them as a straight ahead 'thrash metal' band but there vocal style leans towards a 'death' style in more recent years i would say.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess in terms of vocals I can see what you mean. :)

E-Z

Reaction score
Riff wot you said about Kirk Hammet is valid and the same thing can also be said about Dave Mustaine as well, virtually everytime Dave's name is mentioned in dvds it's restated time after time that "Dave was kicked out of METALLICA and that inspired him to form his own band MEGADETH." :pullhair:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Riff wot you said about Kirk Hammet is valid and the same thing can also be said about Dave Mustaine as well, virtually everytime Dave's name is mentioned in dvds it's restated time after time that "Dave was kicked out of METALLICA and that inspired him to form his own band MEGADETH." :pullhair:

I just think its time to stop remembering bands for the past, remember the stuff they put out for other things, like the music being good because of all around contributions perhaps lol

E-Z

Reaction score
Going back to my point about liking thrash metal bands but not liking death or death thrash is a band formed by 'the late great' Chuck Schuldiner called DEATH.

I really tried to get into this band on several occasions in years gone by but there death style was 'to much' for me, a lot of there numbers were played in a slow death style although they did speed up and played in a 'death thrash' style as well but i just couldn't get into them dude's which is a shame cos i kinda like Chuck.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I guess in terms of vocals I can see what you mean. :)

Not me :heheh: It's still just thrash metal

Death on the other hand could be called Death Thrash as it is basically Thrash with Death Metal vocals, in the early days anyway. They went on be more Tech, progressive, Death Metal but in the early days when they basically started the death metal scene along with Possessed and others...basically Death Thrash. BTW, I met Chuck about a year before he passes the night after the Live in LA DVD was recorded.

anyway carry on ..I'm leaving now :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the music is thrash which all Exodus is that I have heard then its thrash metal as far as I see it.
But yeah, I enjoyed the Pleasures album, I prefer Bonded but its still decent.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online