A1 Let Me Ride 6:00
A2 How the Story Goes 3:33
A3 Little Queenie 6:39
A4 Being Kind (Can Hurt Someone Sometimes) 6:02
B1 Music Man 4:38
B2 Like You Do 5:57
B3 Flash Tan Queen 4:23
B4 Golden Country 6:33

Would you guys believe REO Speedwagon played proper hard rock? I couldn't with my own ears. Before I listened to this album I saw on Wikipedia genre tag 'hard rock', but thought 'I guess it sounds just the same of Hi Infidelity. I gave it a go with this second album and instantly fell in love with it. Gorgeous sounds of hard rock with some piano and Hammond organ on the background. Some brilliant bass playing there, very thundering. I think it's fair to compare Rush self titled album with this.

Favourite tracks: Like You Do, Let Me Ride and Golden Country

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
All good stuff man! I'm already a Curved Air fan but I prefer the stuff where it was poppier and more vocals! :) The Reo stuff was surprising and I liked Warhorse! :cheers2

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Glad you really like Curved Air. Yep, there is also a vocal difference between Air Cut and their previous albums, but to me doesn't really matter. She was still sexy. :D
REO surprised me as well, people are not familiar with their early work, I wasn't too until I checked it out. It was worth it. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Glad you really like Curved Air. Yep, there is also a vocal difference between Air Cut and their previous albums, but to me doesn't really matter. She was still sexy. :D
REO surprised me as well, people are not familiar with their early work, I wasn't too until I checked it out. It was worth it. :grinthumb

Curved Air, Argent and Affinity were the three standout groups for me when I did my 70's thread! :grinthumb

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash (1970)

Wishbone-Ash-Wishbone-Ash-216857.jpg

A1 Blind Eye 3:40
A2 Lady Whiskey 6:08
A3 Errors of My Way 6:08
A4 Queen of Torture 3:20
B1 Handy 11:30
B2 Phoenix 10:23

Recommended by Ritchie Blackmore after jamming with the band, Wishbone Ash released their first album, which is a blend of hard rock, blues and jazz. It is one of the few bands I find improvising techniques very important and in fact it's good source to follow, shame people don't find good in this band (talking in my college group). Very heavy bass, which turned out to be Rickenbacker 4001 with heavy strings (55-110). Since I found out what strings Martin Turner has been using (before switching to Thunderbird) I started to use the same and since then my bass playing became more interesting. The whole album to me is a masterpiece, especially the B Side, which is nothing but a jazz/blues jam. A great starting point to all not familiar with the band, no one's gonna regret 40 minutes of beauty.

Favourite tracks: Errors On My Way, Handy and Phoenix

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Budgie - In For The Kill (1974)

Budgie+-+In+For+The+Kill.png

A1 In for the Kill 6:32
A2 Crash Course in Brain Surgery 2:39
A3 Wondering What Everyone Knows 2:56
A4 Zoom Club 9:56
B1 Hammer and Tongs 6:58
B2 Running From My Soul 3:39
B3 Living on Your Own 8:54

From one of the creators of heavy metal, the fourth album 'In For The Kill' is an absolute killer. All the punching riffs and heavy power chords will definitely please every heavy rocker's ears, because only Budgie were the forge of such heavy and powerful albums (in the early days). Personally, I rate Budgie higher than Black Sabbath. It is probably my favourite Budgie album, it has every component of a masterpiece.

Favourite tracks: In For The Kill, Crash Course In Brain Surgery, Zoom Club and Living On Your Own

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
The very first Budgie vinyl I bought. Was in Southampton. When records were a lot cheaper then they were in Holland, around the early 80's.

Terrific album!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not a bad start so far Nolo...if I don't see a Saxon album mentioned I might have an accident in this thread...:heheh:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
The very first Budgie vinyl I bought. Was in Southampton. When records were a lot cheaper then they were in Holland, around the early 80's.

Terrific album!!

I am seeking myself a copy, almost got one few months ago. :grinthumb

Not a bad start so far Nolo...if I don't see a Saxon album mentioned I might have an accident in this thread...:heheh:

I will see, if Saxon's debut will be there. :heheh:

Gonna post albums more often, I enjoy doing it and don't want to waste my time waiting to post one each day. :heheh:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Scorpions - In Trance (1975)

Scorpions-In-Trance-422994.jpg

A1 Dark Lady 3:25
A2 In Trance 4:42
A3 Life's Like a River 3:50
A4 Top of the Bill 3:22
A5 Living and Dying 3:18
B1 Robot Man 2:42
B2 Evening Wind 5:02
B3 Sun in My Hand 4:20
B4 Longing for Fire 2:42
B5 Night Lights 3:14

When I first listened to this album, just to check out of curiosity, I couldn't believe myself I've missed so much! Of course having Uli Jon Roth, classically influenced guitarist and Klaus Meine's high vocal range, it is bad to compare, but this is how UFO would sound, if they had more balls. It also marks the first time I've ever heard so far Uli Roth singing incredibly well on the opening track. This album got me to look at more of Scorpions work and most definitely will keep an eye on their albums. One hell of a metal beast.

Favourite tracks: Dark Lady and Top of the Bill

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online