New year's Superbowl....Guns N Roses reunion?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next year's Superbowl....Guns N Roses reunion?

classicrockmagazine.com

Classic GN’R Line-Up To Reunite For Superbowl?
mdome / News, Top Posts / 11/02/2011 13:23pm
Classic GN'R Line-Up To Reunite For Superbowl?

Rumours have started that the classic Guns N’ Roses line-up will get back together for next year’s Superbowl.

Believe it or not, but the story is that negotiations are already underway for Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagen and Izzy Stradlin to reunite. The drummer would be either Steven Adler or Matt Sorum, with Dizzy Reed on keyboards.

The US Superbowl (the climax to the NFL season) is one of the biggest sporting events in the world with a massive global TV audience. In the past, the halftime entertainment has been provided by some all-time giants of rock, including Bruce Springsteen, The Who and the Rolling Stones.

Let’s see if this actually happens. But there’s more chance of GN’R doing this than appearing at halftime tomorrow, for the Hastings United vs. Tooting & Mitcham footie match.

Last edited:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
This is interesting. I wouldn't mind if they were reunited, but instead of Axl invited in a band a normal hard rock singer.2_sm18.gif 2_sm4.gif

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
The NFL has been VERY cautious about who performs at the halftime show ever since Janet Jackson bared her hideous boob. Beyond that, they need the halftime show to go off without any hitches. I don't see them hanging their hat on Axhole....oops....I mean Axl Rose given his history of hitches.

Seems like quite a risk to me.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Interesting news.

I hate to be cynical but this same rumor, or a comparable variation of it, has been trickling in every 10-12 months over the past 8-9 years. I regularly saw this item when I was still in broadcasting and giving band updates during a program. Always had listeners calling me asking about this every time it started circulating again.

The only problem is Slash & Axl and it goes both ways.

All of the remaining original guys (minus Slash) have no problem whatsoever working with Axl, since they all still communicate and even jam together every now and then at "secret" shows.

"Secret" shows usually meaning that some of the Guns guys, such as Izzy or Duff, will be playing in a club somewhere and Axl will come up on stage unannounced for a song or two, or Axl's lineup will be doing a concert somewhere and one of the old Guns guys will show up to his set unannounced to play a song.

Meanwhile, the other guys obviously get along with Slash great since they were working together in Velvet Revolver.

As for the drummers, I'd rather have Adler in there, since he was the first drummer. However, some of the guys don't consider him to be reliable on a day to day basis.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I don't think (nowadays) Guns N Roses are too main stream enough for the Super Bowl...but would love to see it (or just a reunion concert or tour). I think half of America wouldn't be interested, I think their ship has sailed. Just my opinion.

Anyway, anything is better than Janet Jackson, Prince or what we had this year.

I bet Elton John and Billy Joel, will kiss and make up (not literally, of course) and do the Super Bowl next year. That's my guess.

Reaction score
I can agree with Elton, Groovy, but I just don't see Billy at the Superbowl, it just doesn't seem like a fit, I do agree about GNR though.. If they'd have done it a few years ago, after Guitar Hero, rockband and the likes came out, it would have been a perfect peak for them.. They had the old fans, the new metalheads, and all the kids that never even knew they existed before.. But, recently I've seen a drop in their popularity amongst my age group, and over all too..:confused:

BTW, I'm diggin' the Joe Walsh sig, I put on So What last night after I came home from work:grinthumb

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I don't think (nowadays) Guns N Roses are too main stream enough for the Super Bowl...but would love to see it (or just a reunion concert or tour). I think half of America wouldn't be interested, I think their ship has sailed. Just my opinion.

People aren't interested in the Axl Rose Band who has been using the Guns N' Roses name, nor are they interested in Velvet Revolver, but I think you would be surprised how many people would pony up for the original Guns N' Roses.

Myself I've been drinking the GNR Kool Aid since the 1980's, because both of my older brothers and my mother (?!) were fans of them when they were first coming out.

If there were any problem generating interest, it wouldn't be because nobody is interested in the band anymore. It would mostly be because people don't feel they can trust Axl Rose on the road.

At least this is what I think.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
The US Superbowl (the climax to the NFL season) is one of the biggest sporting events in the world with a massive global TV audience.
Am I the only one, who never knew this until now?

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Am I the only one, who never knew this until now?

Nah, I never really got that either. Nor have I ever been able to figure out why my local Walmart is always crowded in the middle of December every year. It's impossible to find parking.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The words dependable and Axl Rose should never be in the same sentence or paragraph. I will believe it when I see it, and even though I am not a fan of his if Guns 'n Roses did reform for the Superbowl then I would have no problem with that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online