Need Help Posting Songs With Embedded Links

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
What do I have to do to embed a song in a post?

I'm not talking about a simple hyperlink that takes you to a file sharing service for you to download the song and then play it.

I'm talking about the kind of embedded link that will allow you to actually play the song when you click on the link (usually in a new browser window).

I'm pretty sure I have to find a place to "host" the song first, but where is that exactly? With my ISP? Youtube? Other? I have a Photobucket account, but they don't host audio files (at least the free accounts don't).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Go to Grooveshark, and make an account. They have an extensive library of streaming music to choose from, Magic is our resident expert but I have used it myself. The quality is better than Youtube most of the time, and I think you can upload your songs there as well.

Here's the link, and if you have any more questions ask Magic, she'll sort you out.

Grooveshark

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
KMET,

There are several ways you can make a link to a song and the song open in a separate window. I use the BBcode tags for [ url ] [ /url ]. I like to use the url to the songs I find on Grooveshark, or you can use Last.fm or any other site that hosts songs individually. If you register at Grooveshark, it remembers you and you only have to log in once, and you can upload songs, too.

Example of how to use the code: *note: I will use extra spaces so the written code will show in the post*

[ url={text to the url of the song} ] Text name of the song [ /url ]

in this case I will show you the actual code and linking text to a song.

[ url=http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Hells+Bells/79896 ] Hells Bells [ /url ]

Now put that code together without the extra spaces and the end result is a link to a song opening in a separate window. :)

Hells Bells

I will work on adding a BBcode just for [Music] with an Icon in the message box to make a quick tag.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Ok, it sounds like I'll be in bidness if Grooveshark will play online host to my song(s).

Thanks LG & Magic.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is the only way, KMET, unless you have your own site and server to host your music. I know that using "host" sites will rob their bandwidth everytime someone accesses the song, but that is what Grooveshark is for :)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Ugh... KMET not happy. :(

I set-up an account and began uploading the file from my computer as per their instructions and it no worky. :wa:

pic1-1.jpg

pic2-1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

:banghead:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
maybe it is because the song is "unknown".

I have not had to upload any music, because I usually find what I want. I can't help you with your situation, KMET :(

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Well, I guess that could be the reason, but it's just a file name. Step 2 of 3 will let me play it, it just won't upload the stupid thing. Stupid Grooveshark. :mad:

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to re-name the file and try again.

Either way, thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
NOOOOOOO!! KMET!!!! Don't Embed your songs!! I get frustrated with this on You tube.. I would think it's a good thing to allow others to post your songs on forums and My Space and other sites!!
It's a good way to get others to listen to groups and watch the video with it..!!
I mean you can copy the URL if it's embedded but that just opens another browser and then your on the site where the video's at.. But it's cool how this forum allows embedded posting of video's right in the thread..
I'm not computer savy, but I like the idea of HTML being allowed..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is the problem, Thumper, we do not allow HTML in posts or signatures. HTML can open the forum up to vicious and malicious attacks.

I will work on finding a way to use some sort of "widget" to post for music. I know I have seen them in tons of blogs and websites. A widget where members can "click to start" the song and hear it. I dont know yet if this is feasible or not, but we shall see :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online