Music at the Academy Awards 2013

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love Randy Newman's songs!

Really...I am not a fan of his songs. About the only one I can tolerate that I can remember is "Short People" which created a bit of a stir when it came out decades ago.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
When I was a child, I remember Alan Price having a hit with Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear. I've liked Alan Price and Randy Newman ever since. Short People is from an album called Little Criminals (1977), on which Newman was backed by The Eagles and a number of top session musicians. Baltimore is much covered and has also become quite well known as a result. It's a good album.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Rubbish...they are Totally Political same as the Grammy's to say otherwise is unrealistic AK. Once in a while they get it right, but often times it's a joke that's why I gave up on all those shows years ago. Same as Olympic judges in swimming or ice skating.

Your opinion not mine. Maybe you are using the wrong term but its quote obvious that they the majority don't vote for their friends or the ones funding their next project. That would be political. I personally know three people who vote.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I agree LG, can't be doing with the oscars or any other show like that, I see them going around with all their money and all their flash clothes and there are people dying who can't afford a meal!!

Don't confuse that stuff with the voting two different cups of tea. I understand the complaint bout that stuff but like I said in the past post that is part of the oscars it's a trade show. That has nothing to do with the voting process except maybe costume and makeup awards but even then it's not about what they wear at the oscars. What does any of that have to do with people dying of poverty? Hollywood donates tons of time and donations to the poor. Yeah I get the whole shouldn't be wasting money but I can give 100s of professions wasting money.

If you don't like the oscars don't watch. There millions and millions that do so they could careless if u don't.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
When I was a child, I remember Alan Price having a hit with Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear. I've liked Alan Price and Randy Newman ever since. Short People is from an album called Little Criminals (1977), on which Newman was backed by The Eagles and a number of top session musicians. Baltimore is much covered and has also become quite well known as a result. It's a good album.

Don't confuse his real songs with crap he is writing for these Disney films. I'm not much of a fan of Randy's songs but at lest those 70's songs were okay.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Rubbish...they are Totally Political same as the Grammy's to say otherwise is unrealistic AK. Once in a while they get it right, but often times it's a joke that's why I gave up on all those shows years ago. Same as Olympic judges in swimming or ice skating.

One note. The nominees and nominees reps do send stuff to the votes to sway the vote but most of the voters vote their opinion although obviously not all of them.

But trying to tell me Argo won because its about Iran and anti republican is BS

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Oh brother.
No academy awards aren't political. The votes just don't care about what sells the most tickets nor do they care who is the most popular although the press try to make it political and cover it that way. Yes after who wins and the academy awards show itself are about the celebration of movies and the industry doh.
The Acadamy Awards is as "non-political" as the Nobel Prize committee isn't political. From the nominations on down to the winners, there is a ton of political and social bias. That is not to say each and every individual member of the acadamy votes that way, but in general, yes, the entire organization has a political posture so evident that Helen Keller could see it if she were alive today.

In my opinion, anyone that doesn't see this awards show (among others) for what it really is, either has their head buried in the sand, lives in denial or is extremely naive.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I haven't watched the Academy Awards since 2002 when Gwnyeth Paltrow blubbered and snivelled all the way through her acceptance speech :yuk:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought it was the members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences who do the nominations AND the voting. To be a member of the Academy, they have to have made major contributions or accomplishments in the movie industry and be invited by the Governors of the Academy to join.

So can the awards be biased and political...........I would have to say yes.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I haven't watched the Academy Awards since 2002 when Gwnyeth Paltrow blubbered and snivelled all the way through her acceptance speech :yuk:
Well, you may have gotten that same sick-to-your-stomach feeling last night if you watched Anne Hathaway give her speech. She was the frontrunner/favorite from the moment Les Miserables came out. I mean, EVERYONE picked her to win it. Then when her name is called, she's all "oh really? me!? Little old me? I can't believe it, I'm so shocked" :rolleyes: (fellate, fellate, fellate some more to the rest of the acadamy)

If she was truly that shocked, then she's got her head as far in the sand as some of the people that think there isn't a political or social agenda (hidden) within the Acadamy.

It's not just the Oscars, the Golden Globes are just about as bad.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online