Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer South of Heaven to Reign in Blood, Rust In Peace beats the shit out of both though as a thrash album.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I like AC/DC and all, but Back in Black is really overrated. It's not nearly one of the best albums of the decade, but everyone seems to love it so very much. It's a good album and all, with great songs, but I don't get why some people are so fascinated with it.

Easily the best rock album of the 80's. Nothing comes close to touching it.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Apetite for Destruction. I do own it, and some of it's good, but it's definitely not the mega album people put it forward as. GnR = Average Aerosmith covers band.

As for Van Halen, everything Diamond Dave touched turned to Gold. I ****ing love Van Halen. The 6 pack is absolute rock solid.

I agree. GnR were very overrated in the 80s.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
So many to choose from. I'll start with what comes to mind first:

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

220px-SurferRosa.jpg

Absolutely one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life. Pure and utter trash. If you like it, good for you. Why you like it? Well, that's an answer that is beyond me, I couldn't even attempt to speculate. If this album was in front of me and on fire, I wouldn't piss on it to put it out. I'd rather listen to cats howl at each other. I'd rather listen to goats bleat. I'd rather listen to the sounds of Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber played on an infinite loop, backwards, at the wrong speed than listen to this album. The smell of fresh pig shit isn't as unpleasant as the sounds found on this turd.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Come on Lynch... Don't hold back, tell us what you really think! :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So many to choose from. I'll start with what comes to mind first:

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

220px-SurferRosa.jpg

Absolutely one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life. Pure and utter trash. If you like it, good for you. Why you like it? Well, that's an answer that is beyond me, I couldn't even attempt to speculate. If this album was in front of me and on fire, I wouldn't piss on it to put it out. I'd rather listen to cats howl at each other. I'd rather listen to goats bleat. I'd rather listen to the sounds of Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber played on an infinite loop, backwards, at the wrong speed than listen to this album. The smell of fresh pig shit isn't as unpleasant as the sounds found on this turd.

:oyea:

Lynch you need to do an album review.....I would love to read your colorful comments broken down song by song :lmao:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Half of his review would be blotted out by the filters Magic...:oyea:

I am not a big Pixies fan, I only have "Dolittle" after some younger fans raved on about it being the most important album of it's era. That was old El Mad Dog. Can't say I agree I listened to it 3 times but haven't played it in years.

Saw a comment about ACDC"s Black album...I like Highway to Hell much better myself, but it's a 70's release so it doesn't count in here.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Anything by Genesis or Phil Collins in the 80s was overrated. Doesn't anybody remeber that Phil Collins was inescapable there for awhile. He was everywhere with his singing into a bucket sounding voice. Just awful, scary, nightmarish, vomit-inducing and downright sickening.:yo:

In case you couldn't tell, I hate Phil Collins.

Good call...I hate Phil Collins as well as Genesis. I couldn't think of anything until this post. Phil Collins is just about as un-cool and lame as it gets and all his vocals sound the same on every song.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember when Mad Dog raved so much about the Pixies...and I am sure you can remember my response :puke:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Yeppers, I literally laughed when he was saying they "invented/perfected" the loud soft loud soft approach in the song structure...that was just too funny.:lmao:

I have to give him props for the Decemberists though, they made up for my Pixie's let down.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online