• Total voters

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis
James Murphy
Alex Skolnick
Alexi Laiho

To name just a handful who are extremely next level talented players that most people have no idea about.

Rory Gallagher was overlooked almost completely here in the
US. I voted for him.

Schmetterling

Reaction score
The most overlooked rock guitar "genius" is missing from this poll and not even mentioned by anyone. Which proves the point

Yes...which is the whole point I keep trying to make. Anyone who had been overlooked whether they be genius or otherwise would still be an unknown.

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to

"Who is the most recognised and rewarded guitar player..?"

Let's just leave out the words 'overlooked' and 'genius'

Last edited:

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis
James Murphy
Alex Skolnick
Alexi Laiho

To name just a handful who are extremely next level talented players that most people have no idea about.

Rory Gallagher was overlooked almost completely here in the
US. I voted for him.

The name of Jeff Loomis rings a faint bell somewhere in the back of my head but I've never heard of any of the others. Research time...!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not gonna claim John Nitzinger as a "genius" blues/rock guitarist but he's certainly spent a career under the radar. Hailing from Texas and began recording in the late 60's, he's probably only known in his local area. The albums I've found of his work were always cut-outs in the discount bins for $1.99 But he is fantastic

He began with the group Bloodrock. When he formed his own band in 1971 he employed a female drummer which was unheard of at that time (**** Karen Carpenter). When he needed to rock out, he smoked

He could take it down a notch for melody and still have a killer riff

He appeared at the Mar Y Sol festival and on it's live album with a stunning blues number. The spoken intro was "sampled" by The Beastie Boys on one of their albums

John Nitzinger formed the band PM with Carl Palmer (from Emerson, Lake and Palmer) in 1980. Nitzinger also played on Alice Cooper's 1981 touring band and co-wrote/performed on songs for Cooper's Zipper Catches Skin album.

John's still alive, teaching music, playing clubs and recording for indie labels down in Texas

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
The name of Jeff Loomis rings a faint bell somewhere in the back of my head but I've never heard of any of the others. Research time...!

They're all primarily Metal guitarist though Loomis & Murphy both put out solo albums where they do a style that mixes everything from shred , progressive jazz classical guitar and just about anything else you could think of all within a rock format. Sholnick aside from being the lead guitarist in Testament also fronted the Alex Sholnick Trio which is a progressive jazz group.
Alexi Lailho is a beast period.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.