Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dee Murray

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Steve Hackett

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Schmetterling

Reaction score
A quick google search throws up some conflicting information for David Evans who could be one of a number of different musicians - one of whom is The EDGE - which leaves me somewhat confused.

Dee Murray is a bass player as far as I'm aware so surely doesn't qualify.

Were the other four named above EVER overlooked...? They all seem to be pretty much guitar megastars as far as I can tell.

For someone who perhaps should have been a guitar playing megastar but for some reason isn't, check out the link below.

I've given this guy a couple of plugs in the past because I really like his stuff. He's a superb and genuinely overlooked musician who I discovered quite by accident a couple of years ago and whose music is at times verging on genius. Not everyone might agree with me on that but at least he's a real overlooked unknown - something none of the above can really claim to be - and he has some pretty fine chops.

https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com/album/songs-from-another-time

a1788619439_16.jpg

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I must admit I wondered who the hell was David Evans??. As for Dee Murray I miss read that name and thought it was Dave Murray of Iron Maiden?.

Also I tend to agree that Brian May and Rory Gallagher are hardly overlooked as guitarists although both Steve Hackett and Alex Lifeson are both a bit more obscure to many of the general public?.

E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
CAMEL forever equals The Snow Goose there 1975 album it was the only record that I ever heard of there's and I never wanted to spoil the listening experience of The Snow Goose with any of there other works.

A few other lesser known guitar hero's primarily from the 1970s-

Tony McPhee of The Groundhogs.
Mick Ronson of the Spiders David Bowie's backing band during his Ziggy Stardust period 1971-1973.
Jan Akkerman of the Dutch band Focus.

E-Z

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
You forgot Andrew Latimer from Camel.

Good call!

CAMEL forever equals The Snow Goose there 1975 album it was the only record that I ever heard of there's and I never wanted to spoil the listening experience of The Snow Goose with any of there other works.

Trust me, listening to some of their other albums won't spoil anything. While I do think "The Snow Goose" is their absolute masterpiece, I highly recommend that you explore some more Camel!

Reactions: E-Z

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Good call!

Trust me, listening to some of their other albums won't spoil anything. While I do think "The Snow Goose" is their absolute masterpiece, I highly recommend that you explore some more Camel!

Absolutely agree with that. A few of my Camel faves include "Stationary Traveller", "Moonmadness", and of course "The Snow Goose".

Some of their other albums were quite mediocre but had spectacular high points, for example "I can see your house from here" which was a thoroughly crap album IMO but as it's saving grace it has "Ice" which is one of my all time best loved Camel tracks.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You forgot Buckethead. He always gets overlooked when the topic of guitar genius comes up.

Another complete guitar genius that NEVER gets mentioned was Prince. Of course he was a mega-star but he doesn't get the guitar praise he deserves.

Go way back into the 60's, and you will find another guitar genius who had a shit load of influence on music to follow, a man who is pretty much forgotten....Roy Wood (the Move, ELO, Wizzard)

There are A LOT of overlooked guitarists.......past and present.

Aero

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with that. A few of my Camel faves include "Stationary Traveller", "Moonmadness", and of course "The Snow Goose".

Some of their other albums were quite mediocre but had spectacular high points, for example "I can see your house from here" which was a thoroughly crap album IMO but as it's saving grace it has "Ice" which is one of my all time best loved Camel tracks.

Totally agree on Stationary Traveler and Ice; two of my favorite songs by them.

Here is the former which showcases Andrew's amazing guitar skills...

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Superb. Love the guitar tone. He was always a real 'tonemeister'.

Pan pipes sound a wee bit out of tune though......:oops:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online