Most Exciting Musical Moments of the 90's!

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
And what has Grunge left us with? What did all that angst and self-pity achieve? Nothing. Other than an 'alternative' formula for the production line.

I see this argument all the time and it never holds water with me. Because no one ever seems to point out the thousands of crap artists that were influenced by, say, The Beatles and Elvis Presley.

You can cite any popular artist and point out how much flotsam and jetsam came in their wake.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Well, a lot of the most exciting moments in pop culture have already been covered here. But I'd have to say a major moment for my friends and I would have to be the arrival of Weezer in 1994. One of the few times in my life (and perhaps the first time) where a modern band just clicked with me instantly. I liked some grunge but didn't really feel like any of those bands "spoke for me." Weezer was a band I could identify with somehow. They took the best elements of grunge and merged them with a more lighthearted, dorky persona and better pop hooks.

IMHO, Weezer has gone far downhill since their "comeback" in 2001, but I remember what a big deal it was among my circle of friends when "Undone (The Sweater Song)" debuted on MTV. We were all talking about it at school the next week. And then of course Weezer went on to sell 2 million albums.

On that note, Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is another truly seminal '90s video.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I really liked Buddy Holly by Weezer, the song and the video.
It took me back to watching Happy Days back in the 70's.
Now if they could only get The 6 Million Dollar Man back on reruns out here!

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Not a Weezer fan but I gotta admit, Buddy Holly was a great video and song.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Grunge music get's a bad rap for being too serious and somber. One of the lightest, feelgood songs of the decade was indeed an exciting moment for me. It's just too bad Blind Melon wasn't able to follow up on the release of their hit No Rain, one of my fav songs of the 90's and another exciting 90's moment. That song never gets old.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
On that note, Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is another truly seminal '90s video.

The video was pretty impressive, a very retro take. I remember thinking whose this nerdy guy with the Clark Kent glasses? And playing pretty heavy too! I think he made nerdy cool, at least for a little while.

H

halcyon days

imo looking back Nirvana's SLTS sure set off a huge trend so i think it was one of the most exciting musical moments of the 90's!

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Grunge music get's a bad rap for being too serious and somber. One of the lightest, feelgood songs of the decade was indeed an exciting moment for me. It's just too bad Blind Melon wasn't able to follow up on the release of their hit No Rain, one of my fav songs of the 90's and another exciting 90's moment. That song never gets old.
No Rain still holds up as a great easy-going song, it's too bad about Shannon's drug addiction because that band had a lot going for it. I liked "Galaxy" as well but it was slightly tainted by the singer's problems by that point.
Blind Melon should be one of the bands to go on the Rockstar show though they seem to have been defunct for a long time now.

runtfan

Reaction score
My most exciting 90's musical moment was discovering King's X. I had actually seen their video for "Over My Head" on MTV in the late 80's and liked the song, but forgot about it until a couple years later when I heard "It's Love" on the radio. After that it was all over. I became a big time fan almost immediately and have all their albums and have seen them quite a few times. They deserved to have been much more popular than they ever were. They were heavy as hell, wrote great hooks, could really play their instruments, and mostly, could sing like angels. A whole lot of people really missed the boat with these guys and I'm glad I wasn't one of them.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
How about the Britpop revolution.

Beginning with the madchester Stone Roses and turning into the Britpop
revolution with Suede and Blur along with Oasis, The Verve, Supergrass and Super Furry Animals.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.