Most Exciting Musical Moments of the 90's!

Big Generator

Reaction score
"It was obviously fresh, but not necessarily radical. Being radical wasn't the point though, it was just good damn music that people could connect with.
I am not here to defend the 'myth'. If you have issues with the way the music was portrayed by the media then I really can't help you."

Er...you were the one with issues. I don't care what the press said about them.

"I am not going to get nit-picky because psychology ruled 5 years of my life and I really know enough to call it as it's seen. Self-pity is a collection of emotions. It can be called a 'condition' it can be called alot of things. But i'm sure for the purposes of this classic rock forum you understand what I mean when we are talking about self-pity and the obvious emotions this particular word evokes. That's as far as i'm going to go with this specific topic."

Yes, let's drop it.

"It's not designed to be 'attractive'. I could care less about whether it's attractive or not. All i'm worried about is whether the music is good."

Surely there's an overlap between "good" and "attractive"?

"Let's talk about Kurt Cobain here. It seems most of your issues have EXACTLY to do with Kurt. So why don't we cut to the chase, call spades as spades and talk about Kurt. Go ahead."

Actually, I think Kurt was far more talented than anyone else from that scene.

"Provide examples."

Who are you? A university lecturer?

"This is too funny. You REALLY don't know Pearl Jam. I am not even going to waste another minute on this."

Multi-millionaire rock stars taking a stand...power to the people!

"He had an ego, no doubt, but that's not what motivated him to make music. Now let's take a look at many 80's hair bands. Just a perusal over the titles of many 80's songs."

Provide examples.

"My point was that if all Cobain wanted to do was cash in then he would have went about things differently. He took a risk, and said screw what people are expecting to hear, i'm going to play some lesser known tunes.
He could have fell flat on his face, but he had the confidence to do something different. He could have just pandered his hits to the audience. He WOULD HAVE if it was all about the money.So your point is he 'sold out?' If he had sold out he wouldn't have made In Utero, but he would have stayed with the same slick production of Nevermind. He would have even went slicker."

No - but I reckon it was his addiction/ self-destructive nature rather than 'artistic courage' which led to the sound of that crappy album. It was the half-hearted desire to sabotage his success....without showing the courage or the imagination to drastically change the direction of the band. In the end though there was very little 'risk' involved...In Utero was hardly a big departure from Nevermind.

"How is this different from any 80's band? What specifically are you referring to in regards to bands whining? Give me specifics or I can't really address that."

Hang my head / Drown my fear /Til you all disappear...sniff...sob...

The day I tried to live /I wallowed in the blood and mud with
All the other pigs...

Whoa...deep.

"What 'grunge' bands have you been exposed to, aside from Nirvana, PJ, Alice, and Soundgarden and all the one's that blew up?"

Mudhoney, Hole, Mother Love Bone, Stone Temple Pilots...and in the 80s Husker Du....etc....

But no...I don't claim to have rare Sub Pop pressings or anything like that...just in case you were planning to get all nerdy on me.

Last edited:

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I am getting tired of arguing about this. I think I had an argument about this sometime in the past and I won. So just take my word for it and it'll save us both some time we could be spending doing something more 'radical' and 'fresh' than we are now.

But seriously, watch that movie I recommended. It gives you a good idea at the general disdain we had for the Grunge phenomenon.

Big Generator

Reaction score
"I am getting tired of arguing about this. I think I had an argument about this sometime in the past and I won."

I'm speechless...

Last edited:

eccentric man

Reaction score
holy deja vu.

but seriously, to denounce all 90s rock as whiny and depressive is the same as writing off all the 80s stuff as big hair, spandex, and cheesy guitar solos. also, anyone who says there were no solos in the 90s had their head shoved up their butts.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
The best thing about the late 80's for me was a resergence of classic rock bands that were finally coming back into the business but did not give up their general style, like The Allmans, The Stones,solo albums from Page and Plant (seperately), Grateful Dead etc...even newer bands like the Cult and Guns and Roses were good to hear.
I absolutely cringed at Poison, Wasp, Winger etc....it was just junk ..BLECK!!!!though a guilty pleasure of mine are bands like Cinderella (some songs), and Salty Dog.
Then in the early 90's , more new bands finally got good again and it was grunge, sometimes depressing self-pity and angst (some NIN and Nirvana) but some great rock tunes as well, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were my favorite Seattle Bands on the radio and I also liked STP,some Smashing Pumpkins and even the Melvins had something interesting to present.
So that is my musical taste history for popular music in that late 80's/ early to mid 90's period...I think its really hard to say that both periods were just glammy cock rock or suicidal grungers because there was a lot more going on that just that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online