Most Exciting Musical Moments of the 90's!

newdawnfades

Reaction score
What were they?

I'll start off with the obvious. When Smells Like Teen Spirit came out. I remember hearing it on the radio and asking myself,"what the hell is this?!" You could tell that Smells was something big waiting to happen. The video was the straw that broke the camel's back.

369341.jpg

Last edited:

Zombeels

Reaction score
The release of Radiohead's OK Computer. Although it did not get much mainstream exposure it was at #1 on most rock critic's lists for that year. It was the "Dark Side Of The Moon" for the 90's.

Attachments

• #7 Radiohead - OK Computer.jpg
    #7 Radiohead - OK Computer.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 166

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I wasn't around back then... Most exciting thing that happened to me in the nineties was when I hear The Battle Of Evemore for the first time -- wait that might have been in '00 or '01. Most exciting new thing that happened to me in that time was when Eminem's new album came out, the Marshall Mathers LP. I went to the store to buy a gift for my friend's birthday party and discretely bought the Eminem CD 'cause it was a parental advisory thing and I was afraid my parents would be angry.

But my oldest brother was a nineties guy and he tells me it was awesome when Teen Spirit came out. He also likes Dirt from Alice In Chains.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Oddly enough, while I really like the decade, I can't think of any one thing that stands out in my mind...

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think that Spike Jonez video for the Beastie Boys song "Sabotage" was one of the best things to come out of the nineties.
180px-Sabotage1.jpg

By looking back at bad seventies cop shows, it really managed to capture something that was happening in the nineties.
A sort of 'retro' aesthetic kind of thing.

Last edited:

Zombeels

Reaction score
I think one of the best things of the 90's was the downfall of Hair Bands.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
achtung baby. U2 went nutso but in a very, very primo way. (it's still my fave U2 album.)

black crowes, southern harmony and musical companion... the closest anyone has come to a sticky fingers rebirth.

gov't mule, dose. a true cranker. gimme my heavy, bluesy geetars back, thank yew.

i know scads of folk love nirvana, and their impact was rightfully huge, but pearl jam was/is the band for me. zeppish in range, and still new.

kath
whose guit-bias is readily apparent.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I've never been too keen on U2 one way or the other.
I've never hung on to any of their albums but then, I've never run out of the room when they come on the radio.

I loved "Achtung Baby" straight out of the gate. I heard it in the Supermarket at 11pm the other night and it was all I could do not to get down with my bad self right there in the Frozen Foods.

Another 90's moment I'll fess to is that first big Alanis Morisette song.
I was VERY taken with it when it was new and got a few brownie points with my nieces for liking it.

I need all the brownie points I can get.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Geez, senility is setting in early. How could I forget R.E.M.'s Out of Time launching them into superstar status. And then of course a highlight of the 90s for me, Automatic For The People. Most excellent album. Probably my favorite of the decade.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online