Most Exciting Musical Moments of the 90's!

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
I really liked that Ministry song!
B000002M1W.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
also, that Chemical Brother's song that was in every single t.v. commercial for about 3 years.

Ministry made a great video for that song too, well, if your a car nut it was.......

FoulSanctity

Irreverent as Hell
Reaction score
Bittersweet Symphony. In strong competition with Smells Like Teen Spirit for the song of the 90s.

But to be perfectly honest, I didn't really start paying attention to music until the 90s were wrapping up. Man, was I ever a dumb kid!

newdawnfades

Reaction score
When Nirvana came out with Smells, I thought that we had something fresh and exciting but I don't think anybody had thought quite yet that this band would spark anything lasting.

I think what solidified the idea that Grunge was a legitimate new trend in rock was when Pearl Jam came out with a flurry of new tunes off of the Ten album. When I heard Alive, then Evenflow, then Black, then Jeremy, I knew that this was something with a little staying power.

So it was great to see PJ come out like that and really drive it home.

Last edited:

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think Guided by Voices "Alien Lanes" was a highlight.
they got a lot of press for 'Bee Thousand' and gave heft to a lot of coverage for a lot of 'lo-fi' people who deserved a little attention.

Still, I think 'Alien Lanes' is when GBV really tip their hand. They weren't interested in being artsy, quirky, Indie heroes, they wanted to rule the world.
183122-resized200.JPG

other albums in their catalogue show this more but I think this might be the one that sounds like somebody important has arrived. Later they would be recorded more professionally and play their instruments better but I think the absurd confidence of the band has rarely been better displayed on record.

kim deal, an early champion of the band is said to have dismissed 'Alien Lanes' as "bombastic"

exactly!

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Alice In Chains Dirt was Big; Soundgarden as well as Pearl Jam's 10 and of course; Nirvana...the Seattle Grunge Bands unmercifully whacked all of the Cock-Rock Hair Bands from playing arenas down to Fizzle-pop clubs with bad draft beer.
Ever wonder why Kevin Dubrow ended up living in his mom's basement the last few years?

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to answer the question "What were the most exciting musical moments" because many of mine were not actual moments, but rather discoveries. I'll try to stay within the range of immediate IMPACT.

As a long time Beatle fan, there were several:

Going to Beatlefest in New Jersey in 1996.
The BBC release
The Anthology project, including the new songs.
Seeing Paul McCartney in concert
Getting the YELLOW SUBMARINE DVD and watching it with my 2 year old.

Otherwise, I share some that have already been mentioned:

U2's ACHTUNG BABY and the singles on the radio were thrilling; hearing "Mysterious Ways" on the radio for the first time was great.

"Losing My Religion" was the best single of the decade, and seeing the video the first time was mesmerizing

I'm sure others will come to mind and I'll edit this as needed.

JcS

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Joey Self said:
"Losing My Religion" was the best single of the decade, and seeing the video the first time was mesmerizing

JcS
Gotta agree with you here. The video and song pretty much launched R.E.M. into the stratosphere didn't it? I think it defined the second half of their career as well. They went from college radio darlings to one of the biggest bands in the world.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Were there any exciting moments? All I heard was alot of self-pity and depression...no guitar solos...no big hair...no fun.

I reckon House music was the most wonderful thing about the 90s.

eccentric man

Reaction score
i remember woodstock '94 being a pretty big thing but then they had the '99 version and even further bastardized the original.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online