Monumental Moments In Music!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I went to an Alice Cooper show the day before my senior year of high school started last year. I wore my top hat and painted my face and everything even. The show was and still is the absolute BEST live show I've ever seen and I expected nothing less from Alice. At the end of the night I was half deaf (that would be the opening act, Cinder Road's fault), but I managed to meet Alice. He was the nicest guy I've ever met. He was so humble and respectful of a kid like me, it was unreal. He even signed my copy of "Along Came A Spider" and everything.

Wow that's fantastic CH! Did you bow at his feet and chant "I'm not worthy"?

Alice has a big reputation of his live shows, I'm sure you'll remember it for years to come!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Wow that's fantastic CH! Did you bow at his feet and chant "I'm not worthy"?

Alice has a big reputation of his live shows, I'm sure you'll remember it for years to come!

Haha I really tempted too but I felt like that probably has grown too cliched over almost 20 years.

Yep. At one point he stole a lady's stroller and pushed the baby around while singing "Dead Babies" before stabbing it in the face just as the lady brought the police. They then locked Alice up in a straight jacket where he sang "Steven" and "The Ballad of Dwight Fry" (my favorite song by him) as he broke out, but got caught and was hanged while the whole crowd sang "I Love The Dead". Then at the end of the concert for his closing number he did "Elected" (as elections were very relevant at the time) and two guys came out, one with an Obama mask and one with a McCain mask and Alice made them fight as he and someone in a George Bush mask laughed at them. Then at the end of the song he stabbed them both. :heheh: It was an amazing show

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
One musical moment that I will always remember is back in the Summer of 1974 our family rented a cabin at a lake near Yosemite (CA.), and some older kids staying at a cabin across the lake had a bunch of speakers out on the deck and were blasting "Train Kept a Rollin" and "Seasons of Wither" at full volume over and over and over. Oh, God how I wanted to find a way to go over there and hang out!

Another funny moment was in the mid-80's when I was asked to house-sit at a co-workers beachfront house when he and his wife went on a two week vacation. The only thing he warned me about was the neighbors who played nothing but Rolling Stones 24 hours a day. And damned if they didn't... especially on the weekends! :lmao: :cheers:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Every once in a while I think back to 1981 when Prince opened for The Rolling Stones. At that time no one knew who that little freak was, and he was booed almost entirely throughout his set. He finally left the stage before finishing his set after someone through a Jack Daniels bottle at him on stage.

Why couldn't we have gotten Van Halen as the opening act like in Miami? Why?! :wtf:

Andwar

Reaction score
There have been many monumental moments in music for me but the 1st time I saw Jimi Hendrix live I was awe struck! It was 1966 when he had just released 'Hey Joe' and the 'Are you Experienced' album. I remember standing there mouth open wide in sheer amazement at what he could do with that guitar of his! Eric Clapton once said that he felt like giving up the guitar when he saw Hendrix the first time. I know what he means - there had never been anything like him before he came along!

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I agree with Andwar. There are many pivotal moments in Rock music history in general - Ringo sits in for an absent Pete Best or the chance reunion of Neil Young and Bruce Palmer with Stephen Stills and Richie Furay on the LA freeway in 1966.

I have many personal moments as well. In either 74 or 75, I remember watching the friday night CBS Late Movie which was showing one of Elvis' early films - Jailhouse Rock. I was 11. It was ok but when it came 'round to the title number, I was floored. The choreography was cool but the song itself just seemed right, the complete rock tune. But the sound - the fat, cracking snare and tinkling ivories, the spare but rocking guitar and booming but solid acoustic bass was just tremendous. Scotty Moore, Bill Black, D.J. Fontana and of course Elvis.
Now that's a smokin' rhythm section! Made a huge impression on me.

One of the many favorite live shows (how do you pick?): A crisp Autumn night, senior year 1980. Six of us barreling down I-94 in my buddy's dad's 68 Buick Electra 225 land barge. The sweet smell of... oregano in the air. Destination - the Milwaukee Auditorium to see the Kinks. It was right around the time they released the "One for the Road" live album. We were already huge Kinks fans - Arthur, Village Green, Muswell Hillbillies, Misfits. They played for over 2 hours. Ray Davies and the boys. It was excellent. Full of energy. Great band. I recall Eddie Money may have opened the show though I'd have to check my ticket stub. (Does anybody save their concert ticket stubs?)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
One of my most monumental moments was seeing the Nice perform at the age of seventeen at Centennial Hall in London, Ontario. At that impressionable young age, I was left awestruck by the band's performance. The concert had everything from cutting edge psychedelic rock, to an amoeba light show behind the band of the kind that were in vogue at the time (see the cover of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly), to awe inspiring antics by Keith Emerson. Hey, playing the organ behind your back, getting up inside a piano to manipulate the strings directly, stabbing your keyboard with a knife, all these things I interpreted to be signs of genius or at least of a musician completely dedicated to his craft! I mean how could they be anything else? And best of all, it had cost me absolutely nothing to get into the concert! You see I was actually attending the wedding in the reception hall below the concert hall and just snuck out of the reception and went upstairs to see the concert.

:sgreet:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
(Does anybody save their concert ticket stubs?)
I do. I'm still ticked-off that all my ticket stubs from 79-83 are either MIA from a move, or were stolen at some point during the 80's. :mad:

Most notably, Jethro Tull, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Aerosmith and Neil Diamond. That's right... Neil Diamond. :eek:hyeah:

I have everything from May 1984 to the present, though. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.