Misadventures In Music - Thoughts Unfiltered

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I wondered how necessary would be a thread for less than serious and perhaps even random thoughts; mostly about music of course. You know, for the kids with short attention span.
This is your random musical thoughts thread.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
The band Big Audio Dynamite have a song called “Medicine Show” on their album This Is Big Audio Dynamite.
The song is filled with audio clips from a variety of movies, smattered throughout. Classic spoken dialog from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and The Treasure of Sierra Madre interspersed with the song’s music like audio vignettes.
Anyway, I was today years old when I finally heard another one of these brief movie lines included in the song. “Duck! You suckers!” as spoken in the movie A Fistful of Dynamite.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I use a variety of songs as alarms on my iPhone to wake me in the mornings. Different alarms; different songs. For about two months Ive had Jefferson Starship’s, “Save Your Love” as my weekday morning alarm. But now my wife has changed her sleep schedule a bit and has grown angry with the sudden, loud start of “Save Your Love” so I’m going to try “Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts 1-5” for a time.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
A long story made short, about a year ago, I had to start rebuilding my iTunes library on a new laptop computer. This means a great deal of loading compact disc music into the iTunes files. Like some people use to rebuild the carburetors or motors of their cars or remodel their house; every once in a while, I have to rebuild a music library on a laptop. A sort of deep cleaning of music hygiene. Anyway it gives me another chance to take some stock in my physical library and re-evaluate some music.
Now many of these files I have put onto a harddrive not only for archival purposes but also to make importing a little faster. Just move files to iTunes in bulk while other music is imported the old fashioned way; importing from a cd. An album from a manufactured cd or an album from a cd-r in the instances when I have recorded a vinyl record to a cd.
Some of the albums I was working on today include a bootleg of Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and one song from the 1988 Summer Olympics Album. Fight (No Matter How Long)-The Bunburys.

Aero

Reaction score
The Amazon mobile app ticks me off. What used to be a solid app has gone downhill the past year or two.

For some reason, they removed the alphabetized "rolodex" on the right side so you can't just tap on a letter and go to a band or song beginning with that letter. Now you have to scroll down by hand. And when you have over 1000 songs on there, it becomes a real pain in the butt to search this way.

On top of that, when you do scroll down your main list of bands or songs, sometimes the app will return you to the top of the list for no reason at all.

This thing is so frustrating to use.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
We bought my teenage daughter a feature rich, portable turntable. She skips tracks quite a bit on Spotify and is a typical new music fan but we took the risk. Gave her a new album from what’s her face as well. She seems to like it. She even asked to borrow some of my records so I gave her a few she would recognize.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Earlier I spent perhaps five minutes try to think of the song title and lyrics to this song performed by Elvis. I remembered the tempo and a few lyrics but found the wrong song.
I finally hit on a few clues only to discover I was not remembering the song correctly and that in fact it is an Andy Williams song; not Elvis.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I woke up with a particularly sappy Kenny Rogers song in my head and now thanks to heavy doses of Supertramp and memory loss, I thankfully have no idea which sappy Kenny Rogers song it was.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I was really late to the music file downloading game. Had no reason to participate in file sharing of the late 1990’s. I mean I was still a firm believer in buying physical copies of music to hold and gaze upon and cherish. But I had a cousin and some friends who did participate in file sharing. I can still remember how prevalent misidentification of artist and song titles was in that practice.
Anyway, today I still have 99% of every vinyl record and compact disc I have ever bought (a total around 3,000 albums) but also a grand collection of music files copied (archived) from a friend of a friend’s hard drive.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online