Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Re: Ride The Lightning -Metallica

Nice write-up F&W :grinthumb

This is one of my favourites out of the Metallica catalogue, a corking album! The only thing that irks me is like Sweaty said - I'd like to hear a louder, more crisp sound so yeah a remastered version would hopefully deliver on that. If only their earlier albums had been given the stellar production of Black onwards.

... until Bob Rock(Love him or hate him Metallica's Black album has outsold the rest of their catalog combined...of course I might be exaggerating just a little, Tray will know.) entered the picture.

Tray won't know :heheh: Sorry!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Bob Rock produced their best selling, but he also produced and did bass for the biggest piece of shit album any metal band has done too. And now I tarnished the thread of a legendary metal album by mentioning it lol

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay seeing Tray doesn't know the answer(I am shocked!!...:D) here's a list of Metallica's sales figures for most of their albums, not completely up to date but close enough for our purposes.

Album (Year Released) Millions sold in the US market.

Metallica (1991) 14 million

...And Justice For All (1988) 8 million

Master of Puppets (1986) 6 million

Garage Inc. (1998) 5 million

Ride The Lightning (1984) 5 million

Load (1996) 5 million

S & M (1999) 5 million

Kill 'Em All (1983) 3 million

Reload (1997) 3 million

St. Anger (2003) 2 million

Garage Days Revisited(1987) 1 million​

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Reload and Load should have been released at the same time, like Guns n Roses did with Use Your Illusion.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am surprised that MOP is not 2nd,,,and thought Ride the Lightning would be higher up the list.

Those are American figures only, worldwide Metallica has sold over 200 million albums more or less from what I've gathered. However the "Black Album" is still on the charts, it's become the modern day equivalent of Pink Floyd's DSOTM, which still holds the all time record for staying on the active sales charts.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am surprised that MOP is not 2nd,,,and thought Ride the Lightning would be higher up the list.

Those are American figures only, worldwide Metallica has sold over 200 million albums more or less from what I've gathered. However the "Black Album" is still on the charts, it's become the modern day equivalent of Pink Floyd's DSOTM, which still holds the all time record for staying on the active sales charts.
Im surprised Load has outsold Kill Em All too.
And nearly outsold Lightning.
If the band reissue the first 4 albums remastered I think it would help sales a lot more.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I think they should hire one of the European metal producer/engineers and redo them from scratch, using analog gear and then transfer them to digital.

That would be epic...and I am positive they would make a lot of new fans and old fans would buy them again, which in turn would make Lars happy.:grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Ride The Lightening is an awesome album and the first Metallica tape I ever owned. Bought it when it came out played it to near death in a week and went out and bought Kill 'em All .Still by far my favorites from them.

Black album on I can do w/o other then Death Magnetic

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You still have your cassette of Ride...Wolf?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

If I ever find these sorts of albums on cassette Ill buy it as a collector, I have the S &M album on original cassette.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online