Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Re: Ride The Lightning -Metallica

Tracks

1. Fight Fire with Fire

Repetitive? maybe. But nothing like this song had ever been done before. In 19*frikkin*84! Speed and thrash in your face is what they were going for and they accomplished it.

2. Ride the Lightning

I love the speedy-thrash parts in the chorus and the middle section.

3. For Whom the Bell Tolls

Great mid-tempo fist-pumping anthem. Cliff rules!! Some great drum work by Lars as well.

4. Fade to Black

Their first of many "last song on side 1 build up from ballad to climax" type songs.

5. Trapped Under Ice

Love it! Thrash fest, and why not. That is who they are (were).

6. Escape

my least fave song on this album, actually my least fave Metallica song of the 80's. Still cool but just going through the motions.....

7. Creeping Death

Great song, love the lyrics. I also love how they speed it up when they play it live. Legendary.

8. The Call of Ktulu

My least favorite Metallica instrumental but I love it nonetheless. I didnt really appreciate it until a couple years after it's release. Thier tribute to their 70's epic prog band influences.

edit: sorry, I just realized we're not supposed to review it, only comment on your review. oh well, I just joined yesterday and this was my first time commenting on this. I'll leave it just 'cuz I worked hard on it. Ok, live and learn. Rock on.....

No problem - we get to read two people's take on a great album :grinthumb

Yes it's a unique kind of CD only the Japanese make, people are split on whether they are a big improvement or not. I've got some that are better than regular pressings and others that seem to just be louder...

^^^ Thanks to a good friend I was able to check this out :) In comparison my original CD sounds muddy, the Japanese edition is clearer, sharper, more polished - an overall much better sound. So definitely not just louder and I would certainly recommend picking up a copy if you get chance.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^^ Thanks to a good friend I was able to check this out :) In comparison my original CD sounds muddy, the Japanese edition is clearer, sharper, more polished - an overall much better sound. So definitely not just louder and I would certainly recommend picking up a copy if you get chance.

Thanks for taking the time and giving it a listen Tray & Sox, I agree with your synopsis as well, it sounds much "clearer and defined" than the original regular CD.

I now have a copy of the DCC(Audio Fidelity) release that Lynch talked about a few posts back, I will give it a couple of spins to see if it sounds different than the other two.

sco703

Reaction score

It's a great album, but I think the tracks I like the least are Fight Fire With Fire and Ride the Lightning. It's been awhile since I've listened to it, so I'll need to do that and then revisit this thread.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more I listen to this the more I keep finding why I love this album more then Puppets, sometimes I prefer the more raw production of an album, Master of Puppets was a lot more polished but that was not necessarily something to dictate why an album is better, sometimes an album with the raw sound on the guitars gives that album more character.

Khor1255

Reaction score
The best Metallica album by far. I really love Fade to Black and many of the other tracks are memorable as well.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Been listening to them alot recently. Still find this to be their best album. I love Master Of Puppets and Battery, Master Of Puppets, Orion, Welcome Home, Damage Inc IMO all stand out on that album, but for me on this album there is not really one weak song. I can listen to this album all the way through. With Master Of Puppets I find myself skipping around a bit. I can listen to the album completely with out doing so, but it is more of frame of mind for me. This and Kill Em All I can really just sit and let it play through with out jumping around.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
We will be getting remasters over here for sure as all their albums are cheap so that tells me we are looking at some new remasters, if the record company's can be bothered. This is a must buy album:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online