Marina and the Diamonds

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Marina and the Diamonds

Half-Greek, half-Welsh singer-songwriter and musician Marina Lambrini Diamandis, better known by her stage name Marina and the Diamonds, rose to prominence in 2010, after she was the runner-up in the BBC Sound of 2010 poll. 'The Diamonds' part of her stage name is often assumed to refer to her backing band but actually refers to her fans: "I'm Marina. You are the diamonds" she says on her MySpace page. A sweet little nod I think :)

This is the kind of pop music I like, fresh, quirky, a little bit different, and performed by somebody with real talent! Her piano/keyboard driven songs are diverse, and range from melancholic ballads to jaunty New-Wave throwbacks. Comparissons have been made to Kate Bush, who at times she does remind me of (especially with the song Mowgli's Road), but Kate was not one of her influences and Marina says she never listened to her music growing up and hasn't really since. She does however cite Brody Dalle of The Distillers, Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, Dolly Parton and Daniel Johnston, amongst others, as being influences.

Marina has an impressive vocal range, and whenever I've seen her sing live she always gives an excellent performance. Her voice is unusual and her music is what she calls 'experimental pop' - and for me it ticks all the right boxes. I love what a BBC reviewer said of her whilst reviewing her debut album, The Family Jewels, "She’s strange because she appears to have based her entire singing style on the odd rhythms and insane lurches of Sparks’ This Town Ain’t Big Enough for the Both Of Us". Well that's alright by me, I love that song! :)

The Family Jewels

After several EPs and singles, Marina released her debut album 'The Family Jewels' on 15th February, 2010. There's not a single song on this album I don't like, here are some of my favourites from it:

Hollywood

Hermit The Frog

The Outsider (live)

Mowgli's Road

Numb

]​

And, not a personal favourites, but a popular song by Marina so thought I had better include it :)

I Am Not A Robot

Looking forward to the release of her second album 'Die Life' due out in October this year :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K., I'm officially a fan.....AS OF THIS MOMENT!!!!!! I really like this artist and from the influences I had a feeling. I love Fiona Apple so I don't mind if there's a whole assembly line of people influenced by her. I loved the song "Numb" and that song was the last push I needed to look for this album and buy it. I loved "The Outsiders' as well! :) Thanks for the introduction Tray and as always great writeup. It's not wasted! I read every word! :grinthumb:cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The Outsider is very 80's! Cool!

I like NUMB alot! That's a good cut! :cheers2

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
with you 100% Tray. Fell into the trap of Marina's voice two summers ago when my music industry friend played two songs he had "I am not a Robot" and especially "Obsessions". Been a big fan since and yeah she reminds of Kate Bush, also aware of that not being one of her influences. However, she is all over the place, however fearful she will fall into a pop scene that will keep her from trying the experimental part of her music. She just announced she is going on tour in support of Katy Perry. :zzz: Although I guess that is good for her. I thought she would be bigger now as I also like all the songs on "Family Jewels".

Love her live performances too, I've saw her first two american concerts back in March of 2010 and twice more since, including a venue in on the NJ Shore with just 50 people after her seeing her in a sold out medium sized venue in NYC. I've also talked to her very friendly and down to earth.

MY Pictures:
Velvet Dress
4953351528_d0ed7cee23.jpg

4436775265_d2437b1278.jpg

Hippy Chick
4952758561_9e0d561c0a.jpg

Biker Chick
4965085515_50625e22d2.jpg

Hamburger anyone
4952759131_4e0d8dde3d.jpg

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
If a gal can sing with two hamburger props and a pair of $$ glasses you can bet Aktivator is not far behind :heheh:

Nice pics man :grinthumb

:oyea:
Although I prefer her to be thinking of me with these in her hand:
4952758793_bb422a1f2a.jpg
:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip