Lynyrd Skynyrd (Official Thread)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
:( Today is a sad day for Lynyrd Skynyrd fans...

On October 20, 1977, just three days after the release of Street Survivors, and five shows into their most successful headlining tour to date, Lynyrd Skynyrd's chartered Convair CV-300 ran out of fuel near the end of their flight from Greenville, South Carolina, where they had just performed at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium, to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Though the pilots attempted an emergency landing on a small airstrip, the plane crashed in a forest in Gillsburg, Mississippi.[14] Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray were killed on impact; the other band members suffered serious injuries.

Following the crash and the ensuing press, Street Survivors became the band's second platinum album and reached #5 on the U.S. album chart. The single "What's Your Name" reached #13 on the single airplay charts in January 1978.

The original cover sleeve for Street Survivors had featured a photograph of the band, particularly Steve Gaines, engulfed in flames. Out of respect for the deceased (and at the request of Teresa Gaines, Steve's widow), MCA Records withdrew the original cover and replaced it with a similar image of the band against a simple black background .[15] Thirty years later, for the deluxe CD version of Street Survivors, the original "flames" cover was restored.

Lynyrd Skynyrd disbanded after the tragedy, reuniting just once to perform an instrumental version of "Free Bird" at Charlie Daniels' Volunteer Jam V in January 1979. Collins, Rossington, Powell and Pyle performed the song with Charlie Daniels and members of his band. Leon Wilkeson, who was still undergoing physical therapy for his badly broken left arm, was in attendance, along with Judy Van Zant, Teresa Gaines, JoJo Billingsley and Leslie Hawkins.

Wikipedia
qfLCM.jpg

Edit: Just noticed Jersey Girl posted the album covers, just a few posts above! :grinthumb

opera races

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea that today was the anniversary - only vaguely remembered that it was around this time of year. Lynyrd Skynyrd has been among my favorite rock bands for a long time. I don't think I started getting into them until a bit after the plane crash - and it didn't have anything to do with the plane crash more them not beginning to hit my radar until then. I still have the 45 of What's Your Name I bought brand new and suprised it's not worn out. After that I started acquiring their albums. I have both versions of Street Survivors but didn't buy them new; instead acquired them used over the years.

I know most people are pretty burned out on Freebird but I do think this is quite an awesome renditon, esp. Allen Collins' guitar playing.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered a copy of Street Survivors, looked also to be the one with the controversial flame cover on it. RIP to those who died in that crash.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really enjoyed Street Survivors. Nice bluesy sounding album.
Whats Your Name? Was one track I loved.

Sweet Little Missy. Love the piano playing in this one.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.