1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Official Thread)

Discussion in '70's Music' started by eberg15101, Sep 20, 2008.

1. OldSchool47

OldSchool47 Senior Member

"This is where Rock 'n' Roll was made. Southern Rock 'n' Roll."

2. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd have postponed this weekend’s stops on their Last of the Street Survivors Farewell Tour so that founding member Gary Rossington can recover from a recent heart procedure. The 67-year-old guitarist had been experiencing fatigue, according to a press release, and underwent surgery to fix a leaky heart valve on July 31st.

I've lost count of how many heart surgeries Gary has had in recent years, but thankfully he always seems to get back on his feet and doing relatively well, so he must have a good team around him.

3. Lynch

Lynch Happiness is a chocolate chip cookie

Found this CD yesterday in going through a bunch of older CDs that I haven't' touched in about 15-20 years.

Skynyrd Frynds

A "various artists" tribute/cover album by a bunch of country performers that were hot at that time (1994).

[​IMG]

The entire album isn't great, but overall it's pretty decent. I like a LOT of the stuff that Alabama has done over the years but their version of Sweet Home Alabama was pretty goofy. It sounds about like 90% Alabama and maybe 10% Skynyrd. Not bad, but not great. Some lyrical changes as well that weren't necessary.

Travis Tritt did a cover of "Don't Ask Me No Questions", which I enjoyed. Then again, I happened to like just about everything Tritt did in the 90's. This might be my favorite track on the album

There are only 10 songs. The finale is Wynonna's remake of Free Bird which is a jumbled fuggin' mess. The first half of the song, it sounds nothing like Free Bird. The buildup and outro instumental is weird as hell. It has a taste of some 80's metal sweep picking along with pop and country over/undertones. It's just weird.

Anyway, it was fun to listen to again. I had to rip it so I have a portable copy again. Will have to give it a listen with headphones on later this week and see if my thoughts change much.

4. Dave78

Dave78 Dave's not here, man

I don't know if it's already been mentioned in any of the 16 pages of posts or not (though it probably has), but the band officially recorded the live track "Travelin' Man" in the studio in 1997.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Sharp Dressed Man likes this.
  5. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

6. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Barstool Pizza Review - Mangia With Special Guest Lynyrd Skynyrd

Nora and Sharp Dressed Man like this.