Ludwig van Beethoven

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
LG - I have Alfred Brendel on a cassette tape that's now almost unplayable. This Youtube version is excellent, I think I'll have to invest in a CD version.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Alfred myself, I don't have his version of the "Emperor" but do have numerous other works of his.

I am debating whether to get his complete set of Beethoven Sonatas, he has two versions and I haven't made up my mind about which ones I like more...:think:

Problem is I already have two complete sets of them, but I can't help myself sometimes when it comes to exploring different versions of his music.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
This video gives me hope for the future. It also makes me want to have kids. lol Not only does this lil guy look like he is enjoying himself, he actually knows it!! I love it at the end when he says, "this is my favorite part!" and proceeds to go nuts hehe

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's a great video Kuaizi, and you are right it does give us hope for the future.:tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Beethoven died March 26, 1827......185 years ago!

I think it's time to give Beethoven some RIP appreciation. The Quartet OP.135 is the last completed works of Beethoven before his death:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
His was an amazing composer and a complete eccentric in real life as well.

I'm thinking of ordering a new complete set of his Symphonies...I know I have 5 or 6 versions already but this would be a vinyl edition...one can never have enough Beethoven in the house I find.:D

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Well I did that a few weeks ago LG as I think we discussed. I eventually went for the 1977 Karajan/Berlin cycle on DG - it was either that or the Karajan/Berlin cycle from the early 1960's - but the 1977 set also has 6 or 7 Beethoven 'overtures' as disc fillers, so that was why I went for it, and it's just tremendous. I don't tend to ever go for multiple recordings of the same repertoire, it just plays into the hands of all those unbearable pseudo-intellectual classical music critics who trash like the 195th recording of Vivald's Four Seasons or something based on some insignificant detail in the tempo or the orchestral balance that nobody ever cares about, but Beethoven I think is an exception and I can quite understand why you would want several sets of the symphonies, that's my 3rd set of the symphonies, not quite in your league, but very different to the other two that I have. I'm currently boning-up on Franz Schubert - my favourite composer - as my church social group that I am a member of have asked me to do a talk for them this summer on a composer, which I have done the past 2 years (Vaughan Williams and Mozart) so I am immersed in Schubert right now, but I played Alfred Brendel the other day doing the late Beethoven piano sonatas and it was delightful to hear them with the sun beating down on the garden and me staring out of the window for an hour or so, like Schubert you can hear so much of nature in Beethoven's music. So now all we need to know is which new set of the symphonies are you going to order???? Cheers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I will post the set I want after I order it TS...which won't be for a few weeks yet.

Normally I'm with you about the multiple sets of composer's material, but in Beethoven's case I cannot help myself, especially the sets which use "period instruments" and some other's that use "correct notation" and then the others that the conductor just let fly and added his own flourishes.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard a recording or performance on 'period instruments' of anything later than maybe Mozart or Haydn, that I have liked, especially not in the big 'romantic' genre, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert. Berlioz etc. I'm afraid my ears have been so trained to expect Beethoven to sound symphonically sumptuous and rich that I can't get my head around these thin sounding period intruments, especially with some of the horrific breakneck speed tempos that conductors such as Norrington, Hogwood, and John Eliot Gardiner adopt, really hard on the ear! Anyway do keep us posted on your choice LG when you purchase it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I understand what you mean TS...but ever since I picked up Beethoven's piano concertos done on period instruments I enjoy them. I also enjoy the new versions as well done with modern instruments.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online