Ludwig van Beethoven

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Ludwig van Beethoven
December 16th 1770 - March 26th 1827

Beethoven's Biography
List of Beethoven Compositions

Here is my favorite composer, Beethoven. His story is simply amazing, the things he overcame and his disastrous personal life would put most soap operas to shame. Suffice it to say he has a special place in my musical pantheon of composers.

I won't go into the details of all his struggles here, but I might add a few colorful historical accounts to my posts along the way.

My Beethoven library is huge, I'll do an actual count later and list my collection.;)

If you are new to him, it's simple start with his 9 symphonies, that is what I did. I am positive that there are more recordings by various conductors and orchestras of his symphonies than any other composer living or deceased, they are amazing.

Here's the first movement of the 5th, Herbert Von Karajan conducting.

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: Ludwig Von Beethoven

He's my favourite composer as well. I like Beethoven's Fifth symphony even more than his Ninth.

Have you ever wondered what the old time composers would have thought if you exposed them to classic rock? I think they'd be fascinated!

:****:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Hey great to see you in here buddy,,,I have no doubt that if Ludwig were alive in the 70's, he would have been a Heavy Metal guitarist, and done some laid back solo albums on the side for his romantic soul.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I love the symphonies but I love his piano concertos and the violin concerto more. When I used to play the piano in my youth I played a lot of Beethoven.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

When I play my Beethoven piano music, and I have every piece he ever composed for it, it makes me wish I learned how to play it myself...but I'll have to settle for just enjoying his genius.

I have the violin concerto as well.;)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Beethoven may or may not be the greatest of all time, but I'd be willing to bet he'd be at the very top of more lists than any other classical composer.

You're right about his symphonies, LG. They are a very easy way to get exposure to his work, while at the same time experiencing some of his best and most important work. His early symphonies are extremely accessible (though it seems ridiculous to think of any of them as being inaccessible), and it's fascinating to listen to his musical growth and development as he starts with very classical forms in the earliest ones and progresses to more romantic and monumental themes. The early symphonies are not unlike late Mozart, but with the easily recognizable glimpses of what would come later.

His violin concerto and his 5 piano concertos are also great listening, even for those new to classical music in general, or to Beethoven in particular (the same simple-to-complex compositional growth patterns heard in his symphonies is also evident in the piano concertos).

You can also get his essence in any number of smaller pieces - any of his various overtures like Egmont, or the various Leonore overtures, or his "Creatures of Prometheus."

And like his symphonies and concerti, his piano sonatas are all practically basic repertoire, and new listeners will probably be surprised to realize how many of them they recognize, having already heard them throughout their lives. Not quite as well-known are his sonatas for violin and piano, but they're great too. I especially like the "Kreutzer."

He wrote one opera, Fidelio, though I admit I have not heard it. Opera is not typically my thing. (I appreciated a scene from the old "Family Ties" TV series, where Alex (Michael J. Fox's character) has come home from the library with a box full of books, records and art prints to review so he can impress his new "arty" girlfriend. As the family pulls out item after item from the box and read their titles, they find one that's called "Opera: Why It's More than Just Annoying")

I also admit I have not spent much, if any, time with his quartets, and I view that as a personal failing of mine. They're known to be among the finest pieces of art that western civilization has ever produced, especially true for his late quartets. I've stayed away from them only because they're musically complex and intellectually demanding pieces, and in my limited experience with them it takes a lot of effort to even get comfortable with them, let alone begin to understand them. I would guess that how I feel about them may be similar to how listeners of his time reacted to his other works that we consider mainstream now. His music just seems so "right" (Leonard Bernstein famously said that Beethoven was the one composer he knew who chose the perfect note every time, that anything different would have diminished the work in some way - a concept that a musicologist described to me as "inevitability" in music), that it's easy to forget that in his day his music was revolutionary.

Last edited:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

How could I forget the Triple Concerto. The first time I heard it was live with Isaac Stern, Eugene Istomin and Mstislav Rostropovich (I think). That was back in the 60s when one of the doormen let me in for free and I had to stand until someone didn't show up for a vacant seat. The first time ever that the hairs on my arms stood up and I had chills all over.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Wow Annie, that would have been awesome,,,I am feeling a little jealous.:D

:cheers:...Another fan in the house.

I have just started to dig into his Quartets, and I am not a musicologist or anything other than a fan so I'll just enjoy them as a layman...lol.

One interesting note, Franz Joseph Haydn, was Beethoven's mentor, and always encouraged him throughout his turbulent career to keep writing the music the way he wanted and to hell with the critics, one of his staunchest friends. Beethoven always referred to Haydn as "The Master".

He is on my list as well.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That explains how you got your impeccable taste in music MP...lol.

I will post in here today, sometimes it takes me a while to catch up but neglecting Ludwig just won't do.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online