Ludwig van Beethoven

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
McDowell sure looks young in that video Julez.

I won't watch that movie again, or read the book. I have another novel by James Gunn, called Kampus, which is very similar and a very hard read. I have nothing against deep intricate novels delving into the human condition, but I prefer other topics when it comes to reading for enjoyment.

I'll have to post another Beethoven album tomorrow.:mn:

Julie

Reaction score
^ I know what you're saying. A must for people who are into psychology, but not the happiest topic..

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Another area of Beethoven's work worth exploring are the sonatas for violin and piano. I was first drawn to them after reading a short story by Tolstoy (I think - it's been many years) that was named for one of them, the "Kreutzer" sonata. All it takes is one or two listenings and you get to know it well enough to follow its structure and get a feel for where it's going next, which for me is one of the keys to enjoying music, classical or otherwise.

Here's a video of the first movement of the Kreutzer, with the great Nathan Milstein on violin:

After some early slow development, the main theme begins in earnest around 1:32.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love his piano sonatas, but am not quite as well versed with his violin pieces yet. I'll have to start a Beethoven feast one of these days.:cheers2

Kuaizi

Reaction score
It's great to see more lovers of the Ludwig Van. I recently just saw a few Beethoven concerts during the Chicago Symphony's Beethoven festival this year. One concert had a wonderful performance of 8, and then a great rendition of his fifth which was unfortunately ruined by the second horn player who butchered the piece. My wife and I couldn't believe it, but yes, one player ruined a whole piece :wa
We also got to see them play his Ninth, which was quite amazing. The CSO has the best Trombone section in the world, and there was a section in the final movement where the Tbones play with the chorus and the strings, and the balance and intonation was so perfect it brought tears to my eyes. Unbelievable!
I'm very impressed with your guys' links to some great stuff. I really do need to pick up some good recordings of more violin stuff, as I already have stellar recordings of his piano works and the symphonies. Any suggestions?
BTW I have two sets of Beethoven symphonies, one with Sir Simon Rattle and Vienna which is amazing, but my all time favorite is my precious Karajan and Berlin recordings, which are perfect in every sense.
Cheers! :cheers2

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
It's great to see more lovers of the Ludwig Van. I recently just saw a few Beethoven concerts during the Chicago Symphony's Beethoven festival this year. One concert had a wonderful performance of 8, and then a great rendition of his fifth which was unfortunately ruined by the second horn player who butchered the piece. My wife and I couldn't believe it, but yes, one player ruined a whole piece :wa
We also got to see them play his Ninth, which was quite amazing. The CSO has the best Trombone section in the world, and there was a section in the final movement where the Tbones play with the chorus and the strings, and the balance and intonation was so perfect it brought tears to my eyes. Unbelievable!
I'm very impressed with your guys' links to some great stuff. I really do need to pick up some good recordings of more violin stuff, as I already have stellar recordings of his piano works and the symphonies. Any suggestions?
BTW I have two sets of Beethoven symphonies, one with Sir Simon Rattle and Vienna which is amazing, but my all time favorite is my precious Karajan and Berlin recordings, which are perfect in every sense.

My very favorite recording of the 9th, bar-none, is the CSO under Solti, recorded at the Great Hall at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the U of I in Urbana. It has the best combination of performance and sound quality of any I've ever heard (and I own about 10 different ones). Fortunately it's usually available these days as a budget release.

When I was living in Champaign 20 years ago, give or take, we were planning to go see them when they were in town, which they were on occasion, but that year was the big musicians' strike and the concert was canceled. :wa

The Great Hall is a tremendous place to hear classical music. The acoustics are fabulous, and there's no proscenium, so you feel like you're in the same room as the musicians on stage. We saw Perlman there, and Parkening, and a bunch of others, including regular subscription concerts by U of I faculty member Ian Hobson and his Sinfonia da Camera.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have three sets of his Symphonies myself Kuaizi.:mn:

I am not sure if you like Quartets, but I have the Guarneri complete set and I think they are very good. I have all of his Violin Sonatas as well, but haven't played them enough to offer a recommendation yet.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
The complete quartets by the Guarneri would be fabulous, LG. My only copy is a budget release, and I don't even remember the name of the ensemble (I'm not at home to look it up). I seriously need to delve into those sometime soon. Everyone talks about how they're some of the greatest works of art in the western world, particularly in the case of the late quartets.

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been posted already...Perfection.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is easily one of the most important Piano Concertos ever written Steve, I have three versions and am always looking for others to add.

Melvyn Tan on an old wooden frame piano the same as Beethoven composed the piece on.

Claudio Arrau's version I have posted earlier in the thread on a modern steel framed piano.

And another one by Emil Gilel's one of my favorite Beethoven pianists.

Note: large image in the spoiler.

DSC_0049_020.JPG

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online