Love Band (Official Thread)

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Re: Love

The thing is Flower that had I not spent my "ill gotten gains" on vinyl all those years ago I'd only have spent it on other things :oyea:

Here's a gift basket from Harry & David ...

0933_6

What kind of turntable do you have???

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

I've got a belt driven deck, MOSTT1000 which is/was marketed by the Ministry of Sound - bought it fairly cheaply at one of the UK stores (Argos).
It's OK though I use CDs/CDRs and minidiscs more these days. I've got far too much music :):D

ps - thanks for the fruit

Death on Credit

Reaction score

Great band. They started out as a pretty standard Stonesy garage band and then took that extra step that most garage bands failed to do (which is why so many of them have been more or less lost in time); they EVOLVED. 'Forever Changes' is really one of the greatest records ever made. It's like 'Sgt. Pepper's' without all the childish optimism. A lot of the music is similar to the peace and love psychedelia of its time (albeit still fairly original in a lot of ways), but the lyrics have a bleakness that you rarely find on records of the hippie era.

I love that Arthur Lee recorded it as a kind of swan song, being convinced that he was about to die. The sad irony is that had he actually died immediately after recording it, it's very probable that Love would have recognition similar to that of the Doors (who they were faaaaaaaar better than).

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

Great band.

I love that Arthur Lee recorded it as a kind of swan song, being convinced that he was about to die. The sad irony is that had he actually died immediately after recording it, it's very probable that Love would have recognition similar to that of the Doors (who they were faaaaaaaar better than).

Love is among my favorites of the 60's:grinthumb My older brother found DaCapo at the local record resale shop some 30 years ago so that was my first exposure to them. DaCapo is a bad ass 60's rock album. From there it was all the rest.

Arthur was bitter about the way Elektra Records treated Love. Elektra put all their time behind the Doors so they overshadowed anything that Love did to a degree. As good as the Doors were, Love was just as good if not better. A possible strike against Love though was Arthur's reluctance to tour outside their home state of California. Things might have been different if they appeared at the Monterey Pop Festival in June of '67.

There is no denying the superb talent of Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean, Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi and Michael Stuart.:grinthumb:****:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

Bought this book back in '04 and have found it an interesting read about the band. Written from the viewpoint of the author, drummer Michael Stuart, it is a valuable insight into the band and the way that Arthur Lee's mind worked! It goes into some detail, for example, about the Forever Changes sessions when Elecktra used session musicians at the start of the recording for the album and how the band got their act together to complete the rest of the album by themeselves.

Imo it could have benefited from an index and also a discography which may have put the various recordings into context with the written word.

love2-1.jpg

First published 2003
Helter Skelter Publishing, 4 Denmark St, London WC2H 8LL
ISBN 1-900924-59-5

joe

Reaction score

Forever Changes is the best rock album I've heard with the arrangements of strings and horns. Arthur Lee's dimented yet gorgeous romantic lyrics fit the summer of love perfectly. An absolute classic.

One of the best anti-war Vietnam protest songs:

One of thier best rockers:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

After reading Joe's top album of the 60's I checked out "Forever Changes"! First I'll say this group reminded me so much of Simon and Garfunkel which defines the 60's sound for me but it adds a lot more than S & G did musically. I love the orchestrated parts which seem to be very prevalent in the album I heard. The album's very laid back album but had a very full sound at the same time. Some nice guitar parts as well without being self indulgent. In other words the music didn't stall on guitar solos which ruins a lot of older albums for me. This album kept moving at a good pace! On the album the tracks that stuck out for me were:

Alone Again Or
(This got me into the album from the start, I love the part from 1:47 on where it mixed a Tarantino vibe with a lush orchestration, Brilliant)

The Red Telephone
(I was reading in general how the lead singer though he was going to die soon when making the album, this song has a remarkably darker tone once you start really listening to it)

A House Is not A Motel
(I like the Morrison yell and the general flow of the song)

E-Z

Reaction score

That's a bold statement. I've read that Hendrix was involved with them to some degree. I've read about them and heard people rave about them so I guess it's about time to check them out.

Arthur Lee & Jimi Hendrix co-wrote a song together called 'My diary' for a black female R&B artist called Rosa Lee Brooks sometime around 1964 (about 2 years before Jimi was 'discovered' by Chas Chandler of The Animals playing in a New York club called 'The Cafe Wha' and was brought over to London, England).

Jimi Hendrix recorded with Arthur Lee & Love at a session in London, England around March of 1970 that produced the track called 'The Everlasting first' that appeared on the LOVE album FALSE START released in November of 1970 after Jimi's death in September of the same year.

The story goes that Arthur & Jimi were going to form a band together possibly still keeping the band name of LOVE featuring both Arthur Lee & Jimi Hendrix on guitar & vocals and also featuring Arthur's then current bass player Frank Fayad and drummer George Surranovich the same musician's who played on 'The Everlasting first' track.

According to an Arthur Lee interview he gave back in the early 1990s theres a whole albums worth of 'previously unreleased' material from the LOVE/HENDRIX session in London in March 1970 that is still to be released one day?.

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Z

Reaction score
Re: The "Love" Band Thread

After the FOREVER CHANGES album Arthur Lee broke up LOVE and put together a new LOVE with a 'harder sound' personally i like this period of LOVE as the band became a more heavy rock band.

If anyone's interested in the heavy rock direction that LOVE took after FOREVER CHANGES i would recommend the following albums-

FOUR SAIL (a Arthur Lee pun on LOVE FOR SALE) 1968.
OUT HERE 1969.
FALSE START 1970. (features JIMI HENDRIX on the track 'The everlasting first'.

Also of interest maybe Arthur Lee's solo 'Hendrix inspired' album called VINDICATOR 1972.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Staff online