Love Band (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I believe Four Sale was '69. I could be wrong. Was it '68...now I need to check

:heheh:

E-Z

Reaction score
All the tracks recorded that appear on both the FOUR SAIL & OUT HERE albums were ALL recorded during 1968. The 'best tracks' from the sessions were 'cherry picked' by Arthur Lee's record company and put out on the 'single' album FOUR SAIL in 1968 the remainder of the tracks were then given to Arthur Lee who took them to 'Blue Thumb' records who then put them out on the 'double album' called OUT HERE in 1969.

The FALSE START album from 1970 features Jimi Hendrix on one track 'The Everlasting first' although it has been rumoured for many years that Hendrix plays on a couple of other tracks on the album but this was always denied by Arthur Lee although he claims that a complete albums worth of material was recorded at a recording session with Jimi Hendrix and the rest of the band LOVE in March of 1970 in London but nothing else other then 'The Everlasting first' track has ever surfaced.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Ok cool....yeah like the dates on Amazon for the album, wiki and other sites all list it as '69. You know why that would be?

E-Z

Reaction score
Ok cool....yeah like the dates on Amazon for the album, wiki and other sites all list it as '69. You know why that would be?

Not sure about that METALPRIEST unless there was different album release dates for Europe/UK and the USA?.

LED ZEPPELIN fan's should note that ROBERT PLANT rated the album FOUR SAIL (and LOVE) and covered a couple of tracks off the album live one track being called 'August' when he was out on the road with his own band.

jtrichey13

Hall of Fame Guru
Reaction score
Love has been nominated in the Classic Rock Forum's hall of fame voting threads. If you would like to see them inducted, come over to the rock lounge and show your support. Come back every week to lend your voice to the effort to rework the Rock Hall in our image!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Not sure about that METALPRIEST unless there was different album release dates for Europe/UK and the USA?.

LED ZEPPELIN fan's should note that ROBERT PLANT rated the album FOUR SAIL (and LOVE) and covered a couple of tracks off the album live one track being called 'August' when he was out on the road with his own band.

That's probably it right there man :grinthumb

Love has been nominated in the Classic Rock Forum's hall of fame voting threads. If you would like to see them inducted, come over to the rock lounge and show your support. Come back every week to lend your voice to the effort to rework the Rock Hall in our image!

How cool!! :)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
After reading Joe's top album of the 60's I checked out "Forever Changes"! First I'll say this group reminded me so much of Simon and Garfunkel which defines the 60's sound for me but it adds a lot more than S & G did musically. I love the orchestrated parts which seem to be very prevalent in the album I heard. The album's very laid back album but had a very full sound at the same time. Some nice guitar parts as well without being self indulgent. In other words the music didn't stall on guitar solos which ruins a lot of older albums for me. This album kept moving at a good pace! On the album the tracks that stuck out for me were:

Alone Again Or
(This got me into the album from the start, I love the part from 1:47 on where it mixed a Tarantino vibe with a lush orchestration, Brilliant)

The Red Telephone
(I was reading in general how the lead singer though he was going to die soon when making the album, this song has a remarkably darker tone once you start really listening to it)

A House Is not A Motel
(I like the Morrison yell and the general flow of the song)

I`m with you again dude:bow::grinthumb

JimJam

Reaction score
Love is very much an under-appreciated/neglected band from the '60s and not often enough mentioned among the finest L.A. bands of that period.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
LOVE was the first rock act signed to Electra Records,later home to the Eagles,Linda Rondstadt and Queen.Arthur Lee recommended the Doors who they knew from gigging along the LA strip.While Jim Morrison et al were hugely commercially successful while LOVE's best work,1967's "Forever Changes",peaked at a dismal #154 on the Billboard chart.However,many believe LOVE was actually the better band and would have enjoyed the success they truly deserved had it not been for Arthur Lee's refusal to frequently perform live on a national level.I tend to agree here.In my head,putting a LOVE compilation up against a likewise set by playing them back to back would exhibit LOVE's greater depth and inspiration.Not that the Doors weren't inspired and deep.Jim Morrison is certainly one of the greater lyricists ever and Ray Manzarek utterly manipulated his storied Hammond B-3 organ to blissful heights of listening pleasure,but the best of the LOVE catalog in chronological order tracks a marvelous conceptual progression while the Doors' best works fundamentally remained on the same level of mode of expression.I personally prefer Arthur Lee's brand of lyrical surrealism over Morrison' mystically Goth style lyricism.Just one footnote in favor of the Doors here.While they almost played their own instruments with the exception of bass,string and horn players and maybe a couple other bits,LOVE recorded "Forever Changes" with the aid of Phil Spector's "Wrecking Crew",a formidable collection of top notch LA musicians that between them took part in a staggering amount of singles that either went gold,platinum,hit number one on Billboard,or all three.............

JimJam

Reaction score
The comparison with The Doors lyrics is interesting, Hurdy Gurdy Man. I love The Doors but never bought into Morrison as a poet. With Love, i can only describe some of their lyrics as psychedelic but minus the mystical pretensions that Morrison sometimes displayed. And Love was also pretty straightforward at times, such as "My Little Red Book."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online