Lindsey Buckingham Leaves Fleetwood Mac, Mike Campbell Joins the Group

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Hate to say,
End of another era & he's going to die a lonely old man,
Mark my words,

He has money coming out the wazoo. He has a life outside of Fleetwood Mac. He spent a lot of years between his times in Fleetwood Mac. If he wants to tour, he'll have no trouble hiring sidemen. If he wants to record, he'll have no trouble getting session players.

And here I thought they had all grown into adulthood.

Oh well, if there was any chance of a new FM album, that's probably done.

Hogwash. They made albums before Buckingham joined. They can make albums without him again. I don't know if they want to or not, but whether they do or they don't, it won't be because Buckingham is gone.

He may have been a replacement, but he was a standard during their glory days. While Peter, Bob, Mason, etc were in the band when hardly anyone outside of the UK knew much about FM, it was the Nicks, Buckingham era that brought them their fame, fortune and large fanbase.

You can hire anyone you want to replace Buckingham's guitar, that's not the issue. But replacing his voice? Not going to happen. I don't know what the cause of this move is, but they've proven before that FM fails without Buckingham.

More hogwash. Rumors was a great album, but not everything Buckingham touched turned to gold. It's true that Fleetwood Mac didn't have as much success during the time Buckingham wasn't there. But then almost all of the bands with mega hit albums in the 1970's didn't repeat their success in the 80's, 90's and beyond. The failure of Fleetwood Mac to repeat their success of the 1970's doesn't prove that Fleetwood Mac fails without Buckingham. Most of the bands of the 1970's failed.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
He was a key member of the band during their most successful era. He left, their success, sales and output all went down. White wash it however you like, but the fact is, without him, they tumbled.

Old Dude

Reaction score
He was a key member of the band during their most successful era. He left, their success, sales and output all went down. White wash it however you like, but the fact is, without him, they tumbled.

I suggest you look into the phrase, "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc". It describes one of the most common logical fallacies. You've just demonstrated it.

A very strong case could be made that rather then Buckingham's first departure causing the band's slump, it could be that Buckingham realized that the band's creativity had run dry, and he was just a rat leaving a sinking ship. As I pointed out earlier, almost no bands that were at the top of the charts in the 1970's continued to turn out big hits after the mid 1980's. Asia self-destructed in 1985. Paul McCartney's success slowed down around that time. Hell, Buckingham's solo efforts after leaving Fleetwood Mac didn't do much. If he was such a key to their success, why didn't he achieve much of anything on his own during his hiatus from Fleetwood Mac?

Lynch

Reaction score
I suggest you look into the phrase, "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc". It describes one of the most common logical fallacies. You've just demonstrated it.
I'd thank you for the snide comment, but rather will just thank you for being a living example of such a comment below.

Buckingham's solo efforts after leaving Fleetwood Mac didn't do much. If he was such a key to their success, why didn't he achieve much of anything on his own during his hiatus from Fleetwood Mac?
For the VERY same reason that many artists don't do as well after they leave a band (which I would have assumed in your all-knowingness, you'd figure out), the chemistry is no longer there. They leave for a multitude of reasons. Ego, greed, ego, selfishiness, inability to get along, toxic work environment, etc. Just like a marriage. When they get out on their own, some have success, others fail miserably. There are many examples of it.

Keith Moon (The Who)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Billy Corgen (Smashing Pumpkins)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
Peter Chris (KISS)
Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones)
Vince Neil (Motley Crue)
Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
David Lee Roth (Van Halen - started out good, went to shit pretty fast)

I'm not going to continue because it doesn't matter and won't change your mind (if possible in the first place). I made a statement, you don't agree with me, I don't agree with your opinion, etc etc. No point in going any further.

Old Dude

Reaction score
I'm not going to continue because it doesn't matter and won't change your mind (if possible in the first place). I made a statement, you don't agree with me, I don't agree with your opinion, etc etc. No point in going any further.

That's true. If you're only going to make pronouncements from on high as if you were an infallible oracle, and cannot present any sort of reasons why you have the opinion you have, then there is no point in continuing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is just a big pile of sheep dip. But simply repeating your opinion over and over isn't defending it. That just demonstrates that your opinion is basically a pile of sheep dip.

Lynch

Reaction score
Ever strain your eyes while looking down at others? JFC, do you ever even read your own BS after you post it? Or do you post it WHILE looking in the mirror?

YEAH, we ARE all entitled to our own opinions, thus YOU saying someone is full of shit (er, sorry, "hogwash") when multiple people give their opinions on a topic ... well... see the above statement. Hypocrite much?

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Hogwash. They made albums before Buckingham joined. They can make albums without him again. I don't know if they want to or not, but whether they do or they don't, it won't be because Buckingham is gone.

I think at this point they're unlikely to try to make another album without him. Say You Will was 1/2 Lindsey songs, some from what would've been the first version of Gift Of Screws. The other 1/2 were Stevie songs she probably wrote for solo use. It was an OK album, but rarely sounded like a proper FM album.

Behind The Mask (plus the 2 new tracks from the GH album 2 years prior) sounded more like FM than Say You Will did. Those songs may have been written for the album, rather than being leftover solo stuff, plus you still had Christine in the band. I think Christine adds as much the the "modern" FM sound as Lindsey and Stevie do.

Nothing about my comments is directed at the band prior to 1975. A different band altogether in those days.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
FM was washed up before he left.
They may make an album or not. It doesn't matter.
They will be just doing the hits for the rest of their career.
Just like all the other bands from that era.
And they will sell out venues. Good for them.
They will be perfectly fine without Lindsey Buckingham.
Their future would be the same either way.

And a point of contention would be around the idea that the Peter Green version were hardly known outside of England.
Green had already been the replacement for Eric Clapton in the Blues Breakers where he had become "big news".
John McVie was also a member of the Blues Breakers. (The name Fleetwood Mac came from joining the 2 last names)
They didn't enjoy the kind of success that the 70's pop version did but it would be untrue to suggest that they were not very well known.
They had toured the US with great success. The early albums outsold the Beatles and the Stones.
Santana covered their song Black Magic Woman. This version of the band didn't last very long because of Peter Green's melt down.
Lineups for the Boston Tea party for instance. The James Gang opened for them.
February 1970
5 - 7 Fleetwood Mac / James Gang
8 - 9 Delaney & Bonnie & Friends w / Eric Clapton
12 - 14 Kinks / Renaissance
19 - 21 Spider John Koerner & Willie Murphy / Erik Mercury
22 NRBQ / Livingston Taylor / The Proposition / Club Wow
26 - 28 Everly Brothers / Sha - Na - Na

March 1970
1 Neil Young & Crazy Horse / Country Funk
2 - 4 Ten Years After / Redbone
5 - 7 MC5 / Family / Stone The Crow
12 - 14 Mother Earth / Argent / Mocha Chip
15 Santana
19 - 21 Youngbloods / Livingston Taylor / Seals & Croft
26 - 28 Lee Michaels / Faces / Zephyr

Both versions of FM were "good" but it just come down to a matter of taste.
For me it's.
Early FM =
foto_0000000120131216161643.jpg

Pop version =

friends-reunion-series-ftr.jpg

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's true. If you're only going to make pronouncements from on high as if you were an infallible oracle, and cannot present any sort of reasons why you have the opinion you have, then there is no point in continuing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is just a big pile of sheep dip. But simply repeating your opinion over and over isn't defending it. That just demonstrates that your opinion is basically a pile of sheep dip.
Enough. People are entitled their opinions. Stop with the passive aggressive remarks. Keep it civilised without the snide remarks about other people's opinions.

End of story, play nice.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online