Leon Russell (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
:bump:

Old thread.... time for an update.

Leon released a new album called "Life Journey" some months ago. It contains 10 cover songs and two Leon originals.

Track list: Come On In My Kitchen, Big Lips, Georgia On My Mind, That Lucky Old Sun, Fever, Think Of Me, I Got It Bad & That Ain't Good, The Masquerade Is Over, I Really Miss You, New York State Of Mind, Fool's Paradise, Down In Dixieland

0602537764716.jpg

I don't think any fans of Leon will be disappointed. I'm really enjoying the album!

Radagast

Reaction score
Leon Russell has , IMO , always applied his unique style to the music he performs. In what I believe will considered his most memorable work , "Carney" , he proved that he was world class. I was to see him perform at a Virginia Beach Nite Club, but I was diverted by a family emergency. I have not had the opportunity sense then to enjoy him live. I hope I will someday get to see him perform.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
There was a circle of musicians and bands around Leon Russel.
He sort of served as a hub in a way.
The Mad Dogs and Englishmen band comes to mind but he was also a Member of Delaney and Bonney. He produced Dylan and played on the Bad Fingers albums. He was the consummate "session musician" along with his own great music.
He did session work with Jan & Dean, Gary Lewis, George Harrison, Gram Parsons, Delaney Bramlett, Ringo Starr, Doris Day, Elton John, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, the Byrds, Barbra Streisand, the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Willie Nelson, Badfinger, Tijuana Brass, Frank Sinatra, the Band, Bob Dylan, J.J. Cale, B.B. King,[8] Dave Mason, Glen Campbell, Joe Cocker and the Rolling Stones.[9].
All you have to do is hear what he does with Dylan's hard rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io4ODOg3zYk

But mostly back in the 70's he was the coolest white boy in the universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZenoM0XK0

Last edited:

JimJam

Reaction score
His "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood" medley was one of the highlights of the Concert for Bangladesh.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Leon's final album "Love This Way" will be released on September 22nd.

"Russell, a prolific songwriter/musician for 50 years, died last November at age 74, not long after finishing On a Distant Shore. The album, featuring a number of originals along with reworked versions of three Russell standards, will be released September 22nd. The bulk of the original tracks were influenced by Russell's love of the Great American Songbook and are beautifully enhanced by stirring string and horn arrangements."

61gS7-YIaIL._SX425_.jpg

Deluxe edition track list:

On A Distant Shore, The Night We Fell In Love, Love This Way, Here Without You, Inside The Night, This Masquerade, Black And Blue, Sweet Valentine, Just Leaves And Grass, The Love Of My Life, On The Waterfront, Easy To Love, Hummingbird, The One I Love Is Wrong, Where Do We Go From Here, A Song For You.

A brand new track can be heard on the following link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/country...e-this-way-hear-song-from-final-album-w496986

I'll post a proper Youtube link, once the song pops up there.

I'm really looking forward to this release, but it will be a tough one to listen to, just like Gregg Allman's final album, set for release earlier the same month.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
85339593.jpg

Leon-Russell.-Foto-Shelter-Blue-Thumb-Records-CC.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11