Leon Russell (Official Thread)

JackInBox

Reaction score
Re: leon russell fans?

I've always liked Leon Russells' "Stranger In A Strange Land", from the album, Shelter People, 1971.

I will have to get this. I saw the movie for 'JOE COCKER, MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMAN". Leon Russell was a very very good guitar player while also piano.

Yes their is documentary/travelogue movie of them (Joe..Mad Dogs...) on their tour. Especially when they are in Dallas-Texas for a concert.

Emrock

Reaction score

I saw Leon Russel with Mad Dogs and Englishman and touring solo back in the nineties. While i appreciate his music, the last time I saw him, he had absolutley no rapport with his audience. The only thing he ever said during his performance was, "Thank you, thank you very much."

I don't know if he was having a bad night, but I don't like performers who can't connect with their audience. Leon has been around for a long time. He played on a lot of stuff that came out of LA in the sixties including, This Diamond Ring by Gary Lewis and the Playboys and I believe he played on the early Byrds sessions. The man has talent, just not much of a personality.

runtfan

Reaction score

Honestly I don't know very much of his music ("Tightrope" and a few other songs) but I have the weird distinction of having been scheduled to open up for him twice, over 20 years apart, and having it fall through both times.

Flower

retired
Reaction score

Honestly I don't know very much of his music ("Tightrope" and a few other songs) but I have the weird distinction of having been scheduled to open up for him twice, over 20 years apart, and having it fall through both times.

EEK! That is strange, perhaps the third time will be the charm.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Leon Russell

asylum_IIf.jpg

Excellent blues album from 1971. :grinthumb

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
Re: Leon Russell