Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: The OFFICIAL Led Zeppelin Thread

Mellowed out to some of these classy tunes, love going back to rock n roll after a few weeks of heavy metal.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score

^Great links... Amazing as to how Page's acoustic and electric visions finally came together in that fourth album.

Blog_Pic.jpg

On this date, the band played at the Convention Center in Forth Worth, Texas.

Cincinnatus

Reaction score

there is an atmosphere , a state of mind if you will , that I can only get from Led Zep .Don't know if it's the way it's recorded or the sound of the drums or what . I listen to music from all eras and from all over the world, but Zeppelin is in a separate category to me . I wish they had done more because now I have to dig for bootlegs as I have worn out their studio catalogue over the yrs .

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score

There is an atmosphere, a state of mind if you will, that I can only get from Led Zep .Don't know if it's the way it's recorded or the sound of the drums or what. I listen to music from all eras and from all over the world, but Zeppelin is in a separate category to me. I wish they had done more because now I have to dig for bootlegs as I have worn out their studio catalogue over the yrs.
Page in his years as a studio session man was able to formulate in his mind how he wanted the band's music to come across. He loved to experiment with how to mike instruments in the studio with his personal credo of "distance is depth". Page commented on how drums in early rock records sounded like they were trapped inside a box. With Bonham, from early on his methods captured the huge sound generated. "When The Levee Breaks" is a fine example of that. Page also loved implementing studio tricks like the use of a backwards echo. Then there is the violin bow and the theremin.

Live? They were a COMPLETELY different animal. Most fans feel their best output were from 1969 to their European Tour of 1973. After that it was hit or miss. The shows sometimes suffered from excess. Numbers were bloated or overly indulgent especially their individual personal show-off pieces like "Dazed...," "No Quarter" and "Moby Dick". Their 1980 Europe shows though were more stripped down affairs. Plant called it the "Cut The Waffle" tour. As far as non-concert items, look for one titled "Studio Sessions" which is a massive 11 disc set of outtakes, rehearsals and rough mixes. I'm sure it is out there for downloads.

As far as athmosphere...Prince once said that listening to Zeppelin was like looking into a kaleidoscope. Another poster said that they were NOT the first to do hard rock citing Cream instead. That I agree with but Zeppelin certainly expanded it to incorporate other styles other than just the blues. Enjoy the hunt for their unofficial stuff... and best of luck.

Last edited:

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones and Paul Gilbert perform Going To California.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

A triple album bootleg recorded at a couple of warm up gigs in Copenhagen just before the big Knebworth dates in '79. I bought my copy when I was about 16 and it's still in good nick. They had problems with equipment in the small hall but all in all not a bad one to own.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score

A triple album bootleg recorded at a couple of warm up gigs in Copenhagen just before the big Knebworth dates in '79. I bought my copy when I was about 16 and it's still in good nick. They had problems with equipment in the small hall but all in all not a bad one to own.
Nice one Sox. I have it too and another one called "Copenhagen Warm-Ups"...which happens to be the other night. Both happen to be very good audience recordings.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^^ Top stuff I would'nt mind getting 'em both on CD ,, I'll look into that. I read somewhere that Robert Plant said they were trying to cut out "The Waffle" ie. long extended fills and concentrate on delivering more songs for the mammoth sets over both weekends at Knebworth. :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

This is the first thread I looked for upon joining...given my handle and all. If not mentioned already, Jason Bonham and Nicole Scherzinger are currently doing "Black Dog" as a promo for the NBA playoffs.

You're kidding, right? Nicole Scherzinger? :omg: Rock blasphemy!

Haley Reinhart did a good job (despite falling) with What Is And What Should Never Be on Idol last week. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^^ Hmmmmm....that didn't really sit well with me. :heheh: :cheers2

But I guess that's a good compliment from me to Zeppelin :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip