Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: The OFFICIAL Led Zeppelin Thread

Looks like this has some classics on it that my Mothership compilation cd lacks.
Ill definitely be checkin this album out.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the problem I run into Riff Raff! There are so many groups that came out before I was born that it was just easy to get into them through Greatest Hit Comps. and stick with that while all the newer groups I buy individual albums for because that's how I first hear them. The best way to hear a group is through albums though and I neeed to fill in the gaps in my collection with a couple more Zep disc particularly the debut for now! :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I at first just wanted the best of Led Zeppelin but now I want all their albums lol

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Your write ups are very good here Soot...and if Tori Amos got you to listen to Thank You or Zeppelin II then more thumbs up for her!! I also enjoy Tori's version but am partial to the original....not in a purist sort of way...I just actually like the original better.

But Tori is a huge Zep fan and I never heard her say otherwise. She has great taste and I have that much more respect for her being inspired by LZ!!

:grinthumb

Actually the Encomium tribute album was a big push for me MP! Do you have it? Good stuff! :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I found a rare copy of the collectors In Through the Outdoor album in the wrapping unopened.
Dont really wanna open it, not sure it might be worth something one day.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I found a rare copy of the collectors In Through the Outdoor album in the wrapping unopened.
Dont really wanna open it, not sure it might be worth something one day.

Wow pretty sweet! Sealed? Yeah I think that would be worth something. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wow pretty sweet! Sealed? Yeah I think that would be worth something. :grinthumb

Yup its sealed, some foolish sod sold it to a second hand shop, his foolish trash is my new treasure :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

That's awesome...I once bought a CD from the used CD store by me for 4.99 and the price online was 250.00 :heheh:

Out of print import. Silly move on the seller and re-seller. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Let's try the third album today:

Led Zeppelin-III
led-zeppelin-iii.jpg

First I agree with the consensus that this is one of the worst album covers ever for a rock band! :heheh: It's like stickers on a kids lunchbox or something! :lmao: Not very rock at all visually but onto the music:

Immigrant Song-I'm definitely familiar with this song but I've never heard from this album and I declare this the best opener of the three albums thus far. I love the Plant battle cry on this song. It's like a Rock N' Roll tribe of savages on this track and the energy of the music chugs along here. During the last 30 seconds it picks up like a good intro should to lead into the next song!

Friends-Which loses the momentum, not quality though, with a strange mellow track. I'm liking this though. The harminoca, the weird oddly place orchestration with the acoustics is just a strange brew of somehow aesthetically pleasing melody. This may be a deep cut that could end up a favorite for me! :cheers2

Celebration-This sounds like Led Zeppelin trying to sound like The Doors! It's a very busy tune where I like the melody instrumentally but the vocals aside from the beginning just trail into filler IMO. This could've been an instrumental IMO!

Since I've Been Loving You-The bluesiest track here and a slow one at that! The song is seemingly meant to be just that it seems. A slow burning blues epic where Plant sings his heart out! I can't argue with that goal and they pull it off well. I like the guitar licks a lot and Plant's soul and passion in this one! I've got to say honestly that when the melody is slow enough and the pacing is laid back the Plant delivers his best vocals IMO. I think this is their best pure Blues effort!

Out On The Tiles
-I've heard this before and it's a solid track! It's just an aggressive but fun track! If they would've gotten rid of all the "Ooooh yeah!" parts it would've been better but I like the energy, rhythm, movement and most of Plant's vocals here!

Gallows Pole-I've only heard the live version of this track so this'll be cool. Honestly hearing this on the album I don't live it as well. It doesn't seem as epic as the No Quarter version but maybe that's because the song matured over the years. The musical was very weak IMO. I see that it's a traditional song but Led Zeppelin seems to be the band for adding layers to other's work a lot better than this. This was kind of a downer for me.

Tangerine-This is my first time hearing Led Zeppelins version and I love it. I love Plants vocals on this. I love the acoustic and smooth guitars on this. It has a deeper tone and depth than I recall hearing on any other track. This is pretty much a pop track, a good one, and it's my second favorite track next to "Friends" at this point.

That's The Way-So it's interesting to see the split between sounds on the first half of the album until now. This is a cool chill track. Not a lot to say but I enjoy it. I guess it takes a good thing and rides with it. Plant has a nice easy vocal that rides with the melody. It gets a little tiring though and could be shortened IMO.

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp-This is an interesting bluegrassy melody. A foot stomper! There's even clapping! Vocals here are almost too lazy now IMO! Another potential just instrumental track as I enjoy the whole thing in that vein.

Hats Off to (Roy) Harper-I don't like this track much at all. Everything from the vocal to the slide guitar is annoying to my ears. I read the song is a medley/tribute to Roy Harper and other 60's blues artist but it sounds like a mess. I hated the Tremolo effect on Plant's vocals like the older generation hates autotune.

So, this is hands down my favorite Zeppelin album so far. They sound like they've improved over time. It's a privilege today's fickle listeners don't give bands a chance to do. This album has the best vocals so far, the best constructed songs and tight arrangements even when the songs are stranger and the best variety of music which is the capper for me. All they need to do is chop off the closing track!!! I may have to buy and add this to my Zeppelin collection! :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fungusexodus

Members online