Led Zeppelin - III (1970)

Khor1255

Reaction score
III is awesome. I first got to listen to it intently when a friend gave it too me because it was 'too weird'. I loved it immediately and played it over and again that whole summer. Decades have passed and I'm still nothing like tired of it. It is a work of art.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
I owned this album before most of the others (Zepp albums), maybe that makes a difference, or maybe it's because I started out playing acoustic guitars as a teen instead of electrics. But in any case, I love this album. It's a great blend of acoustic and electric songs, it's a side of Led Zeppelin that you don't normally hear.

JimJam

Reaction score
III has always been among my Zep favorites but in the '70s it was over-shadowed by their other albums. I think over time it's become recognized for the great album it is. Branching out into acoustic territory, after the electric onslaught of the first two albums, expanded their reach, a trend they continued through the albums that followed. The first two albums had their quieter moments but the folk slant on side two of III is way more pronounced. Joined with the electric goodies on side one, helluva mix. Everything on the album works, although Hats Off to Roy Harper would be more effective without those irritating phasing effects on Plant's vocals.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I fully agree with all your points, I really couldn't have said that better myself. This album really shows both their quality and their versatility as musicians and I think also showed development in their songwriting from the 'cock rock' that dominated the first two albums - see a song like Tangerine, a more mature love song than anything they'd done previously bar Thank You, or the thoughtful That's The Way.

By coincidence I put this album on in the family car last week and thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Immigrant Song has got to be my personal favourite but I also really love Since I've Been Loving You and Tangerine. I agree about the vocals on Hats Off To Harper, which is my least favourite from the album although nonetheless I still find it listenable.

The only shame really is that Immigrant Song's superb US B-side Hey Hey What Can I Do wasn't included on the album, it wouldn't have been out of place at all stylistically and I'd probably have put in my top five tracks from the album.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
III has always been a monster in my book. Classic stompers like The Immigrant Song ,Out on the Tiles and Celebration Day plus their uunique and amazing acoustic songs like Gallows Pole and Tangerine. ..
Awesome album...amoung their best.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
It has the flavor of a Band who, having risen to unbelievable heights were running a bit low on fuel. But that being said Zeppelin low on fuel is still f'in amazing.
You can feel them looking for something new.
It works but it's not as no nonsense as the first 2 albums.
Mainly it does provide the bridge that goes from the blues based sound of the earliest Zep to Stairway to Heaven sort of adventure IMO.

scarabus

Reaction score
Don't like it at all. Only Immigrant Song gets some airplay.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online