• Destroyer

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Rock And Roll Over

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
What's Your Favorite KISS Album From The Year 1976?

Yup. Those were different times, with many bands releasing an album a year, or even two a year, as in this case.

Two excellent, but totally different albums by KISS, with completely different sound and feel, were released in 1976.

After the unexpected success of Alive! KISS wisely recognized the need for a quality follow-up album, so they put themselves
into the capable hands of producer Bob Ezrin. Well, they got it. The Destroyer album is as much a creation of his as it is of
the band, and after 8 months and 4 singles ("Beth" made it to #7) it became their first platinum album.

After the over-the-top production of Destroyer, good as it was, the guys were a bit concerned of disappointing a newly acquired huge
fan base with Destroyer's highly-polished sound. KISS were more than a little anxious to get back to basics and make a traditional
rock and roll album again, using what they had learned recording Destroyer.

Rock And Roll Over was recorded in an empty theater to try and capture the live feel they had been unable to get with their previous
studio albums. The artwork is definitive 1970's, and the album yielded two top 20 singles in "Hard Luck Woman" and "Calling Dr. Love".

Which one is your fav?

DESTROYER
Detroit Rock City
King Of The Night Time World
God Of Thunder
Great Expectations
Flaming Youth
Sweet Pain
Shout It Out Loud
Beth
Do You Love Me

ROCK AND ROLL OVER
I Want You
Take Me
Calling Dr. Love
Ladies Room
Baby Driver
Love 'em And Leave 'em
Mr. Speed
See You In Your Dreams
Hard Luck Woman
Makin' Love

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great poll :tup:

I'm going to go with Rock and Roll Over.

rtbuck

Reaction score
"What is YOUR FAVORITE Kiss album from 1976?" is the question (key is YOUR FAVORITE) & mine would be... Rock & Roll Over. R & R Over was actually the first Kiss album I got & was the album that got me into Rock & Roll. I'll always remember putting on that record & "I Want You" began. I thought to myself this is really mellow & then it kicked in & I had no idea what happened but I couldn't stop listening to this album. Before that I basically just had AM Radio top 40 45's (singles) & songs were...well...er...songs but now with Rock & Roll Over it was about the song but it was also about the band & what electric guitars, bass guitar, & drums were! I loved every song on that record & within a few weeks Kiss was on tv on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert where they performed I Want You, Hardluck Woman, & Love 'em Leave 'em & I was totally blown away. I was hooked...Rock Magazines & Record albums ruled my teen years!!! & that is why I chose Rock & Roll Over

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
1976 a great year for music !!! I went for" Destroyer" because I think track for track it is stronger

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
I go with Rock And Roll Over.

All the attention was on Destroyer that year, with the superbly crafted songs, and the glittering studio production that was actually uncharacteristic of the band at the time.

R&RO is more representative of KISS as a rock and roll band in the 1970's... AND also had great songs.
Not a stinker on it, but if I had to pick a least-fav, it would be the opener "I Want You".

In comparison, Destroyer has three songs that I don't really care for: "God Of Thunder" is too slow and sludgy, "Great Expectations" is a clue to what a Gene Simmons solo album might (and did) sound like, and "Beth" (I know... the grammy-award-winning hit!) I always skip over. Nice on it's own, but not on this album.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online