King's X (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Re: King's X

I'm also baffled as to how King's X never got any more widely known than they did ( I'm kinda ticked as well ). A band this good deserved a better fate than what they got.

Ya, I'm kinda tick off too.:mad :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

If anyone remembers the Hard 'N Heavy Video Magazine Videos that were out in the late 80's and early to mid 90's...

....here is KINGS X within a story on Megaforce records with Jon (Johnny Z) & Marsha Zazula.

joe

Reaction score

Dogman(1994) is probably the bands most heaviest album with Ty Tabor's guitar taking on a distorted grungy sound and the bass is off the deep end yet keeping the fantastic harmonies, melodic structures and metallic hooks that the band is known for. The band took on new producer Brenden O'Brien who has worked with many artist including Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against The Machine and Mastodon resulting in a ground shaking and head banging excellent album.

744_11_16_2006_3_37_33_dogman.jpg

joe

Reaction score

If anyone remembers the Hard 'N Heavy Video Magazine Videos that were out in the late 80's and early to mid 90's...

....here is KINGS X within a story on Megaforce records with Jon (Johnny Z) & Marsha Zazula.

Thanx for the vid MP. I can't recall the seeing video series back then. I was and still am not big at all on watching videos. Sports, news, documentaries take up most of my viewing time with the odd comedy and movie thrown in so I don't go insane.:heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ They have re-released those on DVD under a new name. Rockthology it's called. Or Rockthology :Hard 'N Heavy. Though unlike the old VHS versions, they're out of sequence in terms of story order and I think it's all just a mish mash of segments combined on these things...like a best of from all the home video volumes.

Not sure what video volume had the Kings X segment...maybe 4? But on Rockthology I think it's on volume 9. Their name is not on the cover highlights though which is bogus as they were on the VHS version.

51Hmhj1DkUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

joe

Reaction score

^^^Thanx. I'll check out youtube to see if there is any more footage from the series. It's been so long since I've been in a video store I'm not sure if I would know what to do.:D

joe

Reaction score

Well...here's another prime example of another band that starts to hybridise thier sound and style with more of pop/mainstream approach to hook on that shooting star but fails____. Ear Candy(1996) still contains some of the bands heavy hooks and harmonies though it is far and few between. This is the point where King's X faith starts to slip and/or as well as thier record company(?).

album-ear-candy.jpg

joe

Reaction score

King's X moves over to the Metal Blade label from Atlantic for Tape Head(1998) which the band has more input on the direction and the style of thier music and produced the album. Back to the heavy, grunge groove grinding sound that was lacking on thier previous album, the light hearted Ear Candy but still one can hear the band running out of ideas and searching for something(?). Again there is some very good tracks on this album and this rest...OK, and one stinker. Ty Tabor and Doug Pinnick had released solo projects before this album was released and which hears Tabor with more of an "sunny" theme compared to the "darker" side of Pinnick's project, Poundhound. Conflicting idealisms(?).

KXTapehead.jpg

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous(2000) shows the band running out of ideas. Flat. Did the band see the end coming for Charlie Sheen ten years ago? Damn it Charlie, get some help before it's too late!

51iLSxa8QmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I guess the band members had used thier own ideas for thier solo projects. Manic Moonlight(2001) maybe was recorded on a lunar eclipse.

KXMoonlight.jpg

Black Like Sunday(2003) revisited some of thier songs from Sneak Preview and rerecord the song's from the '80's. A couple of good tracks otherwise this album and the previous is waste of time.

black.jpg

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

Live All Over The Place (2004) is a live 2 CD set recorded from various concerts between 1994 and 2003 with seven tracks done in an acoustic set. With a few exceptions, everything is as it happened. No overdubs or fancy polished engineering production that result in both capturing the "live" atmosphere while other tracks sound like a bootleg recording.

1824_large.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online