King's X (Official Thread)

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: King's X

I'm a HUGE King's X fan. I've got all their albums and have seen them around 10 times. They're outstanding live. My favorite albums are Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, but any of their first half dozen or so albums are top notch. Nice guys too - I've met them all after shows.

Awesome band !!!

joe

Reaction score

Ooh, I like this. The vocalist especially. Very cool band, I hadn't heard of them before this, so it's new to me. I dig it though.

I thought you might like them P&C.

I'm a HUGE King's X fan. I've got all their albums and have seen them around 10 times. They're outstanding live. My favorite albums are Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, but any of their first half dozen or so albums are top notch. Nice guys too - I've met them all after shows.

Awesome band !!!

Would to love to see them live. Have all thier studio albums but no live recordings. Ty Tabor has to be one of the most underrated guitarists in rock IMO.

Couldn't get Sneak Preview to play on Grooveshark.:mad

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

King's X has often been described as the Beatles meeting Black Sabbath. A very good analogy IMO.

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is probably the band's apex and my fav album from 1989.

Classic: 10/10

There is no point to ramble on. A must own album.

gretchen-goes-to-nebraska.jpg

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I have heard about these guys a lot but never listened to them other from the odd video on Headbangers Ball back in the day but I think I will change that as of right now.

joe

Reaction score

I have heard about these guys a lot but never listened to them other from the odd video on Headbangers Ball back in the day but I think I will change that as of right now.

This band didn't get the recognisation it deserved IMO Wolf. If your going to check out an album I'd recommend Gretchen... Thier best IMO.

joe

Reaction score

Faith, Hope And Love(1990) is King's X best selling album to date though it didn't garner enough attention to put the band in the "light." A little more toned downed than their last album though more progressive in structure. The single, "It's Love" recieved a fair amount of air time on FM and MTV at the time but really wasn't representative of the material contained on the album.

The band still carried on with thier Christian lyrics, fantastic vocal harmonies, and thier own unique sound incorporating and grooving prog, heavy metal, soul, funk and Beatlesque pop. A rare fusion indeed, but the band puts it all together. Magnificant!

album-faith-hope-love.jpg

MintRainbow

Reaction score

One of my favorite bands. I followed them from their first album. Gretchen was the first thing I ever bought on CD, still a fantastic release. For some reason the band never caught on with the general public -- I think their best example of that was their appearance at the Woodstock festival in 1994, many critics thought they gave the best performance there, almost every band that made an appearance at the festival got a bump in album sales, but King's X got nothing. But the critics always loved them, other musicians loved them.

I've seen them in concert 4 times. ^_^

One of my coworkers is a guitarist and grew up on Led Zeppelin and old school rock, is a big fan of Rush, etc, I handed him several KX cds a few weeks ago and I don't think he liked them at all. :/ I've never understood why they weren't more popular -- I thought for sure he'd like them since he appreciates good guitar. But I guess they're something of an acquired taste.

joe

Reaction score

One of my favorite bands. I followed them from their first album. Gretchen was the first thing I ever bought on CD, still a fantastic release. For some reason the band never caught on with the general public -- I think their best example of that was their appearance at the Woodstock festival in 1994, many critics thought they gave the best performance there, almost every band that made an appearance at the festival got a bump in album sales, but King's X got nothing. But the critics always loved them, other musicians loved them.

I've seen them in concert 4 times. ^_^

One of my coworkers is a guitarist and grew up on Led Zeppelin and old school rock, is a big fan of Rush, etc, I handed him several KX cds a few weeks ago and I don't think he liked them at all. :/ I've never understood why they weren't more popular -- I thought for sure he'd like them since he appreciates good guitar. But I guess they're something of an acquired taste.

You would think that if your buddy was a Zep and a Rush fan he would have some appreciation for King's X. Like you, I've never understood why the band didn't recieve more public acclaim.

I remember the high praise they recieved at Woodstock. One would of thought, like you said, that the band would of got a bump in albums sales.

Nice to see another fan.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score

King's X s/t album from 1992 follows in the similar vein as their predecessors but for me, a somewhat of a dissappointing release after thier first three albums as thier song writing isn't as strong and seems to be a lack of direction in which way the band wants to take thier musical style thus resulting in a indecisive and inconsistent album. There is some excellent tracks on the album, but some are rather repetitive and long winded with out achieving any sort of semblance. Still a very good album.

image015.jpg

runtfan

Reaction score

I'm also baffled as to how King's X never got any more widely known than they did ( I'm kinda ticked as well ). A band this good deserved a better fate than what they got.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online