Judie Tzulke

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I keep hearing this wonderful song "Stay With Me Til Dawn" that was a successful song for here in 1979, though it's only something I've been hearing in more recent times. Does anyone have any more insights about here & her music, Wikipedia shows she had a few albums, though sadly is a bit of an unknown apart from knowing that song:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Before Stay Wth Me, Judie Tzuke had a minor hit with Love and Affection:

I think the multi-part harmonies, using her own voice, make this better than the more well-known Stay With Me. It reminds me of Catherine Howe, but I am not sure who was first, so Catherine Howe may remind me of Judie Tzuke.

One of my favourite tracks is called Bully, from the album Secret Agent (1998). If my memory serves me correctly, Judie threatened to stop recording if Secret Agent did not sell. It was a creative triumph, although not commercially successful, but thankfully she has continued to work:

John Edwards (bass) and the excellent Jeff Rich (drums) both played on Judy's second album, which was her biggest selling record. Judie's daughter Bailey also has a lovely voice and sounds uncannily like her mother, for whom she often works.

There is another daughter, who may also sing, but I am not sure to what extent.

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There are various pieces of live footage on You Tube, which give an insight to Judie and Bailey harmonising together. Of course they are perfect, because they are family. This is Union Chapel, but there are a number of pieces from The Anvil if you look around.

The Anvil

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
i could see Annie Lennox sing "Bully", there just seems to be so many sides to Judie Tzulke though, the song she seems to be best known for is very Subtle by comparison. Stevie Nicks by comparison is very similar, though seemed to have much success with her songs.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Judie Tzuke has had a very varied recording history spanning quite a few different record companies beginning with Rocket Record and, via Polydor and a couple of others, has culminated with her own label which I believe is called "Big Moon". Throughout all these times she has produced music of great quality which deserved a better reception by the public which she never got, apart from a devoted fan base.

Bob Harris, a radio presenter on BBC Radio Two, has always championed her work and in the coming weeks, when I get a few moments spare, I'll list the albums which I've got in the off chance that others might like to investigate her music.

Finally, it is a great shame that to the general public, she is only known for "Stay With Me Till Dawn" when she has written some outstanding songs for over thirty years.

Marbles

Reaction score
I was a huge Jude fan (less so these days, since she's gone more ballady) and saw her many times in the 80s and 90s.

To correct Big Ears, Judie's first single was called "For You" ("love and affection" features in the lyrics).

The early albums were a good mix of ballads and rockers, the latter working particularly well live. The rhythm section of John "Rhino" Edwards and Jeff Rich were solid, both later moving to Status Quo - Rhino is still there. Charlie Morgan, the later drummer, was also a fine sticksman. Mike Paxman, with whom Judie performed as Tzuke and Paxo prior to her solo career, both played guitar and wrote the early material with Jude. Paul Muggleton (formerly of Omaha Sheriff) played, produced and wrote with them and became Judie's partner (to this day), being the father of both Bailey and Tallulah. These days the Judie Tzuke band tends to have a very fluid line-up, very proficient but lacking the personalities of the original band.

Re: Catherine Howe - I would say that she was a contemporary of Judie at the Tzuke and Paxo period, pre her solo success. I saw Catherine a couple of times in 1978, supporting Chris de Burgh (in the days when he was good!).

If you like "Stay With Me Till Dawn" (from "Welcome To The Cruise") then you will possibly also like "Understanding" (from "Sports Car") and "I Never Know Where My Heart Is" (from "I Am The Phoenix"). Other recommendations are the beautiful "Joan of Arc" and "Humankind". On the album "Left Hand Talking" Judie also does a cover of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" and of Judie Sill's "Jesus Was A Crossmaker", plus the excellent title track.

Judie recently sang, along with Bailey and Talullah, on the "Lennon Bermuda" session.

For more detail on Jude and her career see Judie Tzuke.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online