Judas Priest (Official Thread)

KingM

Reaction score
But at the same time, he and every other successful musician should understand that the fans are what pays their meal ticket.

I'm a professional writer, and it's the same thing for novelists. People will buy your other stuff, but if you hit it big with a book or series, all people want is for you to write more of those books. When you're asked to speak, people want to hear about the popular stuff.

Of course it's frustrating, but it's an absolute gift to be able to do something creative for a living, whether you're a rocker or a writer.

KingM

Reaction score
^ What have you written professionally?

My bestselling novel is called The Righteous, published by Thomas & Mercer. It's a thriller set in a polygamist cult. Appropriate to this thread, I wrote this one using Beyond the Realms of Death as my soundtrack: The Devil's Cauldron

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But at the same time, he and every other successful musician should understand that the fans are what pays their meal ticket. They tour becuase that is where they make money, they don't make diddly shit on album sales. When you are a newer band, you want te get as much of your music heard by as many people as possible (or so I would assume) because that's how you create a fan base.

I heard a couple of yrs ago when AC/DC was touring for Black Ice that they played 5 or 6 songs from the new album. No offense to anyone, but if I bought tickets to that tour, I sure as hell don't want to hear 5 or 6 songs that no one knows. I've seen it in the past and it takes the momentum out of a concert and the fans will still cheer, but typically the audience takes that time to go take a leak, grab a refill or uses the time to say to each other "why the hell are they playing this?"

One or two new songs in a concert for a band that has been around for 30+ years is plenty. JM2CW.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what he's elluding to or not. I saw Priest on the Nostradamus tour and it was kind of weird because they did probably 4 songs from that album and most the audience had no clue what to think during those tracks.
5-6 songs they didn't play off the album. They played 3-4 at most. Fans though of AC/DC will be accepting of whatever they play and so they should actually, the same set over and over would get tiresome.

KingM

Reaction score
When I saw Saxon recently, they played about three songs from their new album, plus all the old favorites. I didn't own the new album at the time, but thought the new songs were pretty kick-ass. I bought the album first thing when I got home. It's great. So I'm glad they mixed it up a little.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
My bestselling novel is called The Righteous, published by Thomas & Mercer. It's a thriller set in a polygamist cult. Appropriate to this thread, I wrote this one using Beyond the Realms of Death as my soundtrack: The Devil's Cauldron

Interesting and impressive. The Amazon reviewers' enthusiasm for your series is conveyed in their writing, which is praise indeed for your work. With regard to the point about expectations, John Peel (influential British DJ) said, "When people go to a supermarket to buy cornflakes, they expect to find cornflakes in the packet." He also said ELP were a waste of talent and electricity, but enough of that.

I recently regaled members of another board with my memories of UFO live, around the time of Obsession and Force It, and one of my points was that we knew little about the band other than what they played live. With originality and gusto, they managed to sell it to us. Sometimes, groups have to take a chance and believe in their own material.

KingM

Reaction score
Have you ever gone to a concert, been impressed by the sound of one of the opening acts, and bought their album only to be disappointed in it later? It's not that big a deal losing ten or fifteen bucks, and those opening acts are often hoping for those merchandise sales and the extra publicity, but I find it interesting. I don't know if I'm caught up in the moment, if they had bad production quality, or what.

taha

Reaction score
Just finished their '82 live DVD. They looked like a well oiled machine back in the day. KK and Glenn are seem less in their riffs and Robs voice is great. I saw them on one of their early 80's tours and that video brings back some great memories. Man I was crushed when they broke up, never thought they would come back together......

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
When I saw Saxon recently, they played about three songs from their new album, plus all the old favorites. I didn't own the new album at the time, but thought the new songs were pretty kick-ass. I bought the album first thing when I got home. It's great. So I'm glad they mixed it up a little.

Saxon are a force unto themselves. Still delivering 2 hour shows + with varied setlists most nights. Ridiculous that they can still pull it off when they're getting on a bit and they finish a show looking like they've been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Never Surrender.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Members online